1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buttttt, I didn't mean "Illegal Alien" in a Racist way....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 8, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This happened over the weekend in Northern California.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Radio-host-Tony-Bruno-calls-Ramirez-an-illegal-?urn=mlb-wp15190

He used to be a daily guest with a local talk show host and I thought he was irreverent and amusing. This was too far.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Love his apology:

"I did remove my post and apologize for my comments regarding illegal aliens. I was angry and on the air and I stand behind my comments that Bruce Bochy is a coward, as are all managers who order pitchers to throw at guys just because their pitchers can't get a guy out. All of you people resorting to name calling are more classless and vile."

You can tell he really feels remorse in his soul.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Spewing racist tweets. Who'da guessed it.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He should be beaten by a mob, which wouldn't be a big deal.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He should know that it's no fun being an illegal alien.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nice one.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sam Mills was on break, so someone had to fill in.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How times have changed...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm surprised anyone got offended at someone calling a Hispanic person an illegal alien.

It seems that's the preferred nomenclature of much of the country when they refer to anyone dark-skinned who look suspiciously like they might not speak English that well.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Where I'm from they're "Mexicans." Even if they have a Puerto Rican flag hanging from a flag pole in their front yard, they're "Mexicans." Fuckin' MENSAs here.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This reminds me of an incident in Hamilton, Ontario after 9/11. A bunch of mouth breathers burned down a friggin SIKH temple. Hard to keep all those brown people straight.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Back when I was a cops reporter I had a lady call me pissed about the story I did about a van that flipped a buncha times and was loaded with Hispanic.

This lady, "You didn't report that they were all illegals. My husband works at that company and said those guys are all illegal."
    Me, "The state trooper told me that they were from Puerto Rico."
    T.L., "Like I said, they're illegal."
    Me, "Ma'am, Puerto Rico's a U.S. territory."
    T.L. "*dead silence followed by hanging up*"

Draft saved Draft deleted