1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Butch Davis fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Well, since you want me to find the answers....

...you answered them for me, Amigo.

I didn't know about the rest of Baddour's follies.

All I know is that Baddour screwed the pooch here on Davis. How in the hell would I know about Beamer, Guthridge, et al, when this is new to me? What is he, the Teflon A.D.?

I also do suspect that the BOT, with the new members, pulled the Chancellor to the side and said "either you run Butch off of campus, or it'll be your ass. And tell Baddour he's on the clock."

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Genesis in my kitchen, especially the five-man lineup from the early '70s ... Butch who?

Wait, what?

Seriously ... problem is that the cat is out of the bag. Chapel Hill knew that Butch and his staff had messed up, had the chance to do the right thing in an attempt to save face ... and did exactly nothing.

Chapel Hill showed that it was more impressed with the ability of Davis and his crew to recruit plenty of NFL-caliber players and put that above everything else. It seems as if Thorp finally got tired of this mess dragging down the entire university, not just the football program, and did the deed.

Dick Baddour should be called on the carpet for this. But it's not the first time he has seriously botched an important issue. Does this finally finish him?

Stay Tuned ...

3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

UNC is in a recruiting hot spot, too bad football will always be second fiddle.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I didn't expect you to know Baddour's background, but I've been asking the "how hasn't he been fired" question for 10 years now and the reasons to fire him keep piling on. In a half-hearted defense, the school has won 2 basketball national championships -- far and away the most important goals for the athletic department -- during his tenure as well as another dozen or so in other sports, and undertaken a major renovation of the football stadium.

I'd say he must have incriminating pictures of the chancellor to have survived this long, but he's lasted through three chancellors so far. Hopefully the end is near. There are a lot of alumni who are beginning to call for Chancellor Thorp's resignation as well, given how poorly he's handled this football situation.

My take is that the new Board of Trustees made it clear to Thorp yesterday that he needed to take action immediately or they were going to do it for him, but that's just speculation on my part. What is clear is that Butch Davis' strongest supporter on the Board of Trustees term was up and he was no longer there to protect him.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In general football in the ACC is second fiddle.

6. Unless you are Miami, Florida St. or Va. Tech.

7. Boom_70

I'll give you Va Tech and Florida St but since moving to ACC Miami has become almost irrelevant on national scale.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Aren't you forgetting Clemson? I know the Tigz haven't been worth a bucket of warm spit these last few years/decades, but at that school football trumps all.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

See: Rick Barnes leaving for Texas ... Oliver Purnell willing to go to DePaul, especially given the program's state when he got there.

Was there more money involved? Sure. But there were likely other reasons ... and the fact that they were coaching at a football-first school in a conference which eats, lives and breathes basketball probably played into the decision.

10. Boom_70

With Barnes, hard to accept that decision was based on something other than money since Texas is a football first school.

11. As you said, football there sucks though.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Competitively it sucks, but a gameday afternoon at the Esso Club is still a great time.

Draft saved Draft deleted