1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But they work so hard!!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

College cheerleaders.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What about the band? No LOVE FOR THE BAND?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What about stat and film crew?

Those kids actually do work hard...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dear Mother,

You're right. Cheerleaders deserve much more attention. Send your darling to my apartment in a sheer nylon bikini, and we will recify this situation immediately.

P.S., please enclose a photo of yourself, preferably in swimwear (although out of swimwear is acceptable as well.)

Peace, mama.

Statrat ;) ;)

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Cover a game, and point out how when they cheer, nobody follows, thus making them lousy cheerleaders.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

How the h-e-l-l do you do a preview for a cheerleading squad anyhow? "The Podunk Peacocks will miss the loss of Sandy Spirit, who took her pom-poms to State U. But Josie Junior is ready to replace her at the top of the pyramid."

7. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Then there are the impatient parents. We had one call us to inform us that because football's spot in the preview rotation hadn't come up yet, called us to tell us, we neglect football.

I would love a hit of whatever he's smoking.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe like this Bill:

Hayseed High cheerleaders young but talented

By Expendable
    PODUNKVILLE -- There are numerous changes for the Hayseed High School cheerleading team this fall. First, the squad must replace six from last year's squad, including South Central Conference pyramid topper Lindsay Moore.
    With a relatively new team, head coach Lindsey Johnson knows it will be a rebuilding year.
    "We're going to have to make a few adjustments early on," said Johnson, who brought up eight members from the junior varsity. "We know they'll catch on, but for a while, we're keeping it to simple cheers like "Two Bits" and "Rock, Steady."
    Johnson added that sometime in October, she hopes the team, captained by seniors Lyndsi Edwards and Lindsee Hollingsworth will be able to add the ever-popular "We've Got Spirit" to their list of avialable cheers.
    "We're really excited for the new season," said Hollingsworth. "We held a car wash in July, and made enough money to buy new pom-poms and some paper for the football team to crash through. We worked hard in preseason camp, and should be ready for Friday's opener."
    One thing the team will have to deal with is the injury to junior pyramid base Linzee Farrington. Farrington was the bottom center on the six-person pyramid formation and will miss about half of the season after straining her back.
    Assistant coach Lyndsee Hampton said that sophomore pyramid topper Lendsey Maitland was retaining water and was "a little heavier than normal" when Farrington suffered her injuries during the second session of two-a-days on August 16.
    Farrington's spot will be filled by Kaitlyn North, a transfer in from South Bumblefuck High in Hickton.
    Apparently, however, chemistry will be an issue.
    "She just doesn't quite fit in yet," said senior Lindsaye St. John. "We're going to have to learn to trust her."
    "I'm working hard at getting up to speed," said North, who was an all-conference pyramid base at Podunk, which is coached by Kaytlin Smalls -- a two-time state coach of the year. "I’m just here to help the team and give it my best shot and, the good Lord, willing, it will all work out."

9. What about a preview for the writers, designers, copy editors and the desk?

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Everyone in my office probably thinks I'm statrat now because I was complaining about the same thing the past couple of days.

I had to hold back laughter when the cheerleading mom called and told me about how hard they work: "Those girls are out there busting the butts at practice EVERY Saturday for THREE HOURS."

I held back on all the things I wanted to say and played nice. I didn't tell here that hard work doesn't make something newsworthy amd I didn't tell her that even if it did the football team busts there butts EVERYDAY for THREE hours so her girls weren't too impressive anyway.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Exactly. They work hard too and deserve coverage.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'll drink a Labatts to that.

Best damn idea I've heard around here in ages.

Draft saved Draft deleted