1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But no, really, what's the future of this profession?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bunk_Moreland, Feb 11, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not for much longer. Really.

2. That was a once-weekly alternative paper, though, for clarification's sake.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was thinking it was a student paper.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Maybe with a top sports beat they are enthusiastic about working long hours. Not in the other departments of the newsroom. People today are working less and less and less. Young people don't last a year at an aggressive newspaper because it's too much work for way too little pay. They figure it out and get OUT.
    I disagree about the 40 and up crowd being of no use. The 40 and up folk will be needed as long as there are still copy desks and page layout assignments to fill. No young people will take those jobs -- awful hours, very little pay.
    As far as you being a financial liability, of course they'd prefer you quit so they could save 10 grand. You must be productive and nice to have around, but trust me, if they really start to NEED to see that 10,000, you are gone.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you're under 35, why the hell would you take a copy desk job? When I was in school, many of us were steered that way -- overall, we made less money but there was more perceived security. If we'd only known better.

6. indiehead

indiehead New Member

The blatant ageism not only in this thread, but this board in general, is really disheartening. You ever think that, hey, maybe it's time to pass the torch and quit complaining that the industry isn't what it was 10, 20, 30 years ago? Things change. Shit, everything changes. Either roll with it or move out of the way.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Lulz.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So why do you want the torch?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ageism? No. Congrats to the young pups. The three I mentioned all do a great job. All I'm saying is that the days of starting off small and working your way up to a big paper are over. If you don't get in early, you're not getting in at all.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On the plus side, now you will know you get to figure out what to do with the rest of your life at 27, rather than when you have to worry about a wife, kids and a mortgage.

Think of it like minor league baseball. You can do it until they rip the uniform off of you, but understand that it's not a good thing to be the oldest person in the newsroom/on the team.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The advice I give everyone (including myself): Recognize this business will never love you as much as you love it.

If you keep that perspective, you can make good decisions.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say more security per se. But a couple of decades ago a good desk person with only a few years under his belt could pretty much write his ticket and work for almost any paper in the country that he wanted to. That was very comforting.

Draft saved Draft deleted