1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But I bet our teens are first in Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand how this is becoming a union-bashing thread.

The problem isn't the union.

The problem is at the front end - the entry bar to teaching is too low. Elementary education majors are a joke. Joke students want easy majors. Then, you have low salaries in teaching. Top students don't want to make low salaries.

Top students want to be challenged. Top students want to make money.

Why in god's name would any of them, then, be attracted to teaching?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ah, the undefinable "best and brightest" raises its head again, with the jaundiced view of human nature thrown in

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're telling me, ON A JOURNALISM BOARD, that $35K isn't an adequate starting salary?

4. Dick Whitman

Not if we want our best students to be able to compete with other nations.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What does China pay their teachers?

What does Japan? Germany?

6. Dick Whitman

And I also don't think that it is a high enough salary to attract the best people to journalism, either, by the way. But that's a private industry, so too bad, so sad.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many people on this board made $35K straight out of college?

8. Dick Whitman

Completely and utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

You're choosing a low baseline for comparison. Go to Corporate Lawyers.com or Cardiosurgeons.com, and they would laugh at a $35K starting salary.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick -- it isn't a union-bashing thread, it's a thread about making schools better, and not everyone falls into the "hand over a bigger pile of money" camp. We all see from our different angles that solution is often the embodiment of throwing good money after bad.

Do you have school-age kids? I am guessing no, and I am guessing you're going to have different opinions on this topic in 10 years or so. That's because 10 years ago I said exactly what you said, but now I've seen the school system operate for many years.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's not the teachers. It's what and how we teach.

These statistics can be backed up by the fact we're having a debate about intelligent design being inserted into textbooks.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Even if you did, mizzou, you were a sap, apparently

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

65k a year in your 25th year at a place is good money? It's all right, but certainly not anything worth shouting from the rooftops about.

Although, I feel like she probably made more than that. My mom has been a special ed teacher in PA for the past 30+ years and while I don't know her exact salary, I know it's definitely more than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted