1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But I bet our teens are first in Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 7, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you feel that is fair than fine, I can see where you are coming from but I personally don't consider 50 grand a year for a teacher to be great compensation. I don't find it to be great compensation for most university educated professions after 7 years, especially ones that are teaching my kids.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again, our best and brightest students are also not competing with the best and brightest from other countries. This is a problem. This is not about Bronx Public School #564 pulling down the statistics.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Teacher's unions make them lazy. That's not to say they're all lazy, but when you get tenure in most states, it's almost impossible to fire them.

I told this story on another thread, but a local teacher fell asleep in class several different times over a 30-day period. One kid started taking pictures with his cell phone as proof.

The same teacher would have kids read aloud from the textbook or watch movies for most class periods.

Was the teacher fired? Of course not.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Far too many teaching slots in society to require a masters. And standard test scores are a shitty way to determime if students are being taught to be thhnkers

5. Dick Whitman

There are a lot of doctors and lawyers who suck because there are a lot of doctors and lawyers. There are also a lot of lawyers that don't get paid very well at all. The ones who do get paid well are usually pretty damned good lawyers. Or else they aren't lawyers for very long.

But the high pay scale available in those professions - and also finance - attracts top students, and subsequently top workers, to those professions.

6. Dick Whitman

That's just an anecdote. It means nothing except that there was a bad teacher at that school.

7. Dick Whitman

Of course people go into it for the cash.

That's the entire bottom line of my posting on this thread.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My aunt taught public school in Pennsylvania for 25 years.

When she retired five years ago she was making $65K a year (yes, teachers are paid better in PA than most, but still...). She gets full pension and benefits for the rest of her life.

They get better retirement packages than the military.

9. Dick Whitman

So?

Still not enough.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sometimes teaching is not all about the money.

You want a fair wage, but sometimes the higher salaries of the private world come at a cost.

A guy two doors down from manages a Lowes. I know he makes great money, but his hours suck, he has more pressure than I do and teaching rewards you in other ways than a salary. I'm pretty sure he does get letters thanking him from a guy he sold a water heater to 10 years ago. :)

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would bet that everyone who has kids in public schools would say there are 2-3 teachers at the school that everyone knows you have to avoid if you want your kids to learn anything. That means 90-95 percent of the teachers are very good or at least competent, based on parent survey anyway, but the 10 percent need to be weeded out. Not unlike any company, really. Yet it can't be done in the current seniority/union setup.

12. Dick Whitman

True enough.

And yet our top students still gravitate toward the professions with tangible rewards, not teaching and journalism, for example, where the overlords try to sell the "calling" b.s.

Draft saved Draft deleted