1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But I bet our teens are first in Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where the money would come from is certainly an important question. I don't have the answer. I don't know enough about the federal budget and how it interacts with state and local budgets. I know that education always seems like the first thing to be chopped.

Assuming, however, that the money is there, the solution is:

(1) Pay teachers six-figure salaries
    (2) Make the entry bar to the profession very high. For example, make them have to get a professional graduate degree comparable to an MBA or a law degree to be able to teach.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

fair enough, but I'm not sure why someone wants to go to school for however many years to come out making 37000 and to deal with shithead students. Your best and brightest aren't settling for 37000 a year.

3. Dick Whitman

This is true of inner-cities.

But what about our best and brightest students who do have good parents and still don't measure up to the best and brightest students in India and Asia?

What is their excuse?

4. Dick Whitman

This is the bottom line.

Everyone wants teachers to be flawless at their jobs.

And yet they don't think they should be paid anything.

WTF?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My little cousin is ranked something like 3rd in the nation in Call of Duty Black Ops. He plays like 40 hours a week. It's an incredible waste of time - but at 16, he probably makes more money off those damn tournaments than I do at work. And the annoying thing is, he's still a better golfer than me.

6. Dick Whitman

Go walk around Berkeley or Yale or the University of Chicago for a day and tell me about how there aren't any foreign students there.

You can wave the flag all you want. Wave it and wave it and wave it.

The fact is that our primary schools don't do as good a job educating the best and brightest students as the primary schools in other nations. Those are the facts.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One very large reason we "need" them is that corporations want to reduce the amounts they pay their American employees. A Chinese or Indian worker who needs the H1B visa is an indentured servant to some degree, and companies can pay them anywhere from $25K to $50K less than they would pay an American, and it's still a more opulent lifestyle than they've ever seen. Plus the immigrant tends to be younger and without a family that further adds to the company's health-care costs.

Show me a 28-year-old Chinese programmer who is "needed" in America, and I will show you an equally qualified 45-year-old American programmer who is unemployed.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Where I live, teachers start at $35K and can make $50K within 5-7 years.

How is that not a fair wage?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ah, more of this "best and brightest" drivel. There are tons of different criteria for "best and brightest" Our problem could be too many professors doing unproductive work as easily as people going into finance

10. Dick Whitman

Fair enough. And probably a big reason that the bill has never passed into law.

11. Dick Whitman

It's fair enough to attract mostly mediocre job applicants.

Who will then turn out a mediocre next generation, as well.

12. Dick Whitman

Oh, my God.

And you call yourself a Republican?

Draft saved Draft deleted