1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buster Olney: Mitchell's report to name names

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 12, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Michael, I was imagining a lot of it is going to piggyback off the Albany investigation and the other investigations done by the Feds--my understanding is that they have a lot of info that hasn't been released to the public. The report can merely say that Federal investigators uncovered a paper trail suggesting that "Fred's Internet Pharmacy shipped HGH to Joe Slugger in April, 2005. Conclude what you want from it." Also, I'm sure that if your name is in there, your first instinct is going to be to sue, but these are lawyers running Mitchell's investigation, and you have to assume they are not going to name people haphazardly.Lawyers are going to be concerned about being sued and losing. So if they name someone, you have to believe they have something very compelling. And any player who is dead to rights is going to protest his innocence and threaten to sue, but he'd be an idiot to actually sue. The last thing anyone should want is to perjure themselves under oath and to open up a can of worms in which stuff that makes them look guilty gets paraded into a court room.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, I understand all that. But naming names in a report simply uses data compiled in other people's investigations raises its own set of problems. Here's one. Are federal drug investigations being used not to compile criminal cases, but to do sports' dirty work? The Department of Justice has a few problems right now. If I were an attorney for a player to be named sooner, that's one I'd bringing up in public right now.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You might be right. I am not a legal expert, so take this for what it's worth.

I don't see the conflict... The Federal investigators have been pretty clear about this since the early 90s, when they first started launching steroid investigations. They are going after suppliers, not individual users. They had names of MLB players that they allegedly went to MLB with in the early to mid 90s. MLB didn't do anything. And the Federal investigators didn't do anything. They don't have the resources to go after individual users and they have focused their resources on the suppliers. The Federal investigators could have cooperated with Mitchell's investigation if they so chose, and still have fulfilled that mandate. They sent the Balco guys to prison. They sent Kirk Radomski to prison. They have had the licenses of various doctors revoked and they are in the process of trying to convict the proprietors of various internet pharmacies. They are not going to try to convict individual players they know used, even though they have plenty of evidence that those players used. They don't have the resources to bring those nickel and dime cases. So what is wrong with them continuing to bring cases against suppliers--which is what they have been doing--AND cooperating with Mitchell's investigation? From their perspective, it would seem like a no-brainer. Since the Feds are only targeting suppliers, the only time names of actual users come out is when the users are witnesses or are related to evidence that is material to an actual case that gets brought. That allows many players they know about to skate free. By cooperating with Mitchell, it gets those names out there without them having to bring indictments that they don't have the resources to prosecute.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the release of evidence that's going to be introduced in a criminal trial to a third party who makes it public, but if I were an attorney for an indicted pharmacist, I'd be making noise about that for sure.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Buster's story seems to hinge entirely on what people heard Carlucci say.

What if Carlucci got it wrong or somehow got the wrong impression about the report?

On the other hand, if Carlucci's right, we in the media look like idiots once again. How many times did "we" say Mitchell's investigation was an exercise in futility with "no teeth" because "who's going to cooperate?"

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh boy. MLB better get ready because attendance is going to drop from 79 million to 2 million. There will only be about 2,000 fans per game. The sky will fall.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I didn't think the investigation was going anywhere. Not once.

Draft saved Draft deleted