1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Businessweek's incredibly racist cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Even blacks and Hispanics are buying houses again: Hide the women and children!

[​IMG]

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/02/28/racist_businessweek_cover_bloomberg_businessweek_misfires_badly.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those lips in the top right are something else. That's like Obama-hate-cartoon-level caricaturing.

She is a hot little number, though. I wonder how many babies they imagine she has?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

All it needs is a buck-toothed dude in a rice paddy and it'll be complete.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And a real estate agent with a giant hook nose.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

I do like the dollar bills flowing from the spigot and the gutter.

6. LongTimeListener

I don't know if this is good or bad for BusinessWeek, but underneath the racism of the illo, that sounds like a story that's really worth reading. I wonder how the reaction is going to affect the readership.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How is this different than every beer commercial that shows black and white dudes hanging out and drinking together?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Context.

There has been a whisper campaign since the crash that the reason the bubble happened in the first place was because Bill Clinton's policies enabled those no-good, shiftless, welfare check-collecting Negroes to connive their way into the American dream.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It looks like the artist was going for some kind of homage to R. Crumb that just didn't work in this context.

Not sure the racial makeup of the decision makers at Bloomberg Businessweek, but this might be a good example of a benefit of a diverse staff.

You need someone who can say, "What they hell are you crackers thinking?"

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I can't fully express my sentiments on racial matters until we hear from Jimmy Cannon, but I'll ask this:

Are the man and woman pictured downstairs meant to be a mixed race couple?

11. LongTimeListener

Hispanics way more than the Negroes, under this line of thinking. The "Sand States" where most of the building took place are very immigrant-heavy.

Which, to PC's point, the Asians wouldn't be pictured here because the Asians are the good minority.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's not how bank lending works. Just ask him.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted