1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Business Week on ESPN's present and future

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Worth a read/discussion.

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/69258-espn-everywhere-sports-profit-network

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This was linked elsewhere on the site, but I can't find it, so no harm in starting another discussion.

There are some legit complaints on this site about ESPN's sourcing and heavy-handedness, but I have great admiration for its aggressiveness and desire to grow in a time where most media companies are shrinking daily.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

bookmark.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My takeaway was, that Business Week writer sure thinks John Skipper is great.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

ESPN was in the sweet spot. Not saying the network didn't "build that." But it came along at the perfect time and it's ability to get cable systems to pay to carry it made ESPN profitable. Now that it gets over $5 per subscriber and is in 95 million cable homes - not that all 95 homes watch it, but they pay for it - ESPN rakes in $400 million PER MONTH in sub fees. That will buy you a lot of sports programming.

6. Sammi

Sammi Member

One boo-boo in the story. Skipper was born in Lexington, NC, not Lexington, KY. If only each city name could not be replicated...

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The thing is, they broadcast so many events that they could easily ignore. Would there be an uproar if they passed on Middle Tennessee vs. Western Kentucky? Or Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Alabama State?

But they are covering them --- and paying for the manpower to do so.

Meanwhile, folks in our business slash travel budgets and stop covering the things they should cover.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

True. However, it's chicken/egg stuff. With a number of platforms, ESPN needs programming and leagues that don't get that much exposure basically willing to play whenever ESPN says. Yes, ESPN spends a lot of money to staff and produce such events. What's it cost to produce Middle Tennessee-Western Kentucky? $500,000? $750,000? (Experts, weigh in; I have no idea). When you're cashing a $400 million check every month, that's like pocket change.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about the wall between programming and news is bogus. Is Cincinnati vs. Baltimore, REALLY the top sports story today? The dotcom seems to think so.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The first Monday night game of the season, between division rivals that both made the playoffs last year? Yeah, I'd say it's the day's biggest sports story. And their main carousel item is a feature on Louisiana-Monroe, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted