1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush's plan for struggling homeowners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Dec 6, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Shakes head...

Is there one thing this guy does right?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuck up?

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Seems to me like a lot of this is one the lending companies, who have basically exploited people to soak in the jacked up interest rates and penalty fees. That doesn't absolve the lendees, but it is a two-way street.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I were president, I would send goons after predator lenders to rough them up and squeeze them till they coughed up a couple month's mortage for people behind on outrageous loans.

I also would tax private equity firms who take over businesses and cut jobs at a 50 percent rate. And if you send jobs overseas to save money, I would tax your earnings at 75 percent.

Vote for Ace!

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You've got my vote!

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While I partially agree with this, Bush will do what he can to bail people out on this. He almost has to.

If the economy utterly falls apart, which it may do if Bush doesn't bail them out, what legacy does Bush have left? Whenever the failure in Iraq was pointed out, whenever the failures with Katrina were pointed out, whenever the guy couldn't speak four words without having one of them be completely made up, the Republicans have been trying to tout the economy as being strong as the lasting positive of Bush.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the other hand, a home is one purchase that you have to qualify for and jump through all sorts of hoops. It's not like buying a hi-def TV with money you don't have.

So when a lender eagerly foists a loan on some sap or dreamer or person who barely speaks English, they know that they are going to default. To me, that puts most of the onus on them.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

This bailout has nothing to with borrowers and everything to do with lenders and Wall Street. Lenders don't want to own homes. Mass foreclosures is taxing and expensive for the lenders and the freezing of rates is a smokescreen that postpones the inevitable in 5 years, adjustments.

9. poindexter

Wha? The subprime mess is based mainly on people who don't speak english? Wow, this immigration problem is more widespread than I imagined.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are unsavory mortgage lenders out there, anxious to make a quick buck in ways that weren't entirely kosher, but, jeez, we're not dealing with second-graders who don't know any better. Before you sign anything where tens of thousands of dollars, or hundreds of thousands of dollars, are at stake, have the f-----g common sense to ask a couple of questions.

11. poindexter

The #1 reason for foreclosures is falling house prices. Not the borrowers being unable to make payments.

In 2005, if you can't make payments, you sold the house, with probably a profit.

In 2007, if you can't make payments, you walk away from the house because the mortgage balance > house price.

Hello, foreclosure.

12. poindexter

Watch it, bub. That post is sounding awful close to advocating personal responsibility. Alot of people don't take too kindly to that around these parts.

Draft saved Draft deleted