1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush's Book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

William Ayers wrote "Dreams From My Father."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was going to go there but...

I don't think Ayers wrote it (or was even involved), but Obama has never acknowledged any help. Do you believe that?

Besides his two books, we've never really seen any other examples of his writing.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

60 Minutes is the CBS bedmate of Simon and Schuster.

Random House - which owns Crown, publisher of President Bush's book - is owned by a German company, Bertelsmann.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Shit. You're right. My mistake.

I should have looked it up to confirm before posting.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not getting something here -- e.g., y'all are messing with one another -- but TARP was signed into law on October 3, 2008 ... a month before the election.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm fairly certain that's Bush poking fun at the general population's ignorance.

7. Dick Whitman

YF, I don't doubt that he had help - but I don't think that it was that different from the help that any young writer gets, including any one of us. The idea that the right seems to hint at - that you come out of the womb a fully formed Hemingway or else you're a Class-A fraud - just isn't how the process works. It's 90 percent craft, 10 percent talent.

That being said, I read "The Bridge" by David Remnick, and there is quite a bit in there about how one of Obama's initial goals in life was to be a novelist. He spent a lot of his time on the South Side of Chicago writing short stories and trying to hone that skill set. He utilized a lot of his experiences during his community organizing days as a basis for short stories and ideas for possible novels. In fact, Remnick strongly suggests that some of the reasons for Obama's community organizing were not altruistic at all, but instead a way to gain life experiences and insight into the inner-city that he could put to use in his fiction.

You say that we haven't seen any other writing by him, but that's not that unusual. Nicholas Sparks wasn't published until he finally sold "The Notebook" for a $1 million advance. He admits that he still has a fully completed novel sitting in a drawer somewhere that wasn't good enough to be published, and that he will never allow to see the light of day because it isn't good enough. Do you doubt that Nicholas Sparks wrote "The Notebook"?

Is it that much of a stretch to believe that Obama also wrote some poorly constructed short stories and chapters of unfinished novels as he developed those skills?

8. Dick Whitman

Boom, you mean?

(Freudian slip)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd vote for Boom. But we all know 21 wears the pants and decides the policy in that family.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

BOOM IS GEORGE BUSH!!

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

IRAQ

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Does that make you Condoleezza Rice?

Draft saved Draft deleted