1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush's Book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I might peek at two chapters in a library copy.

Give him money? The man's already destroyed enough of mine (and yours, and yours, and yours)
    for specious, personal, wholly-irresponsible reasons.

But he's always relied on the rest of the world to clean up the messes he's made.

The latest embarassment, in a family full of them. Why isn't Neil in jail?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Was Bush challenged on his rewriting of history?

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/11/08/george-w-bush-still-not-telling-the-truth-about-iraq/

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Condi's been his recent front-woman re the Iraq spin, especially during her book tour.

But, then, she's spent many years of her life enabling him.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Donny Deutsch and Michael Barnicle are surprising me -- and probably themselves -- this morning.

Both are sticking up for Bush and found themselves very sympathetic towards him based on last night's interview.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting interview but still weird to me that he is trying to lay claim to TARP bill when it was Obama

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Another thought on that...wouldn't an interview with an ex-president fall to the top dog at a network? Or was the cross-promotion of this book so messy that Brian Williams passed on it?

Matt Lauer was probably hand-picked anyway. But every time I watch Lauer I think of his Tom Cruise "glib" interview, and know that the very last thing out of his mouth will be a Today show promo (as it was again last night).

7. YankeeFan

This was one area where Deutch really stuck up for Bush.

8. YankeeFan

All the networks were allowed to make their pitch to get the interview. NBC proposed a one hour prime time special. I'm not sure if they specified that Lauer would host it -- I think they did -- or if that was negotiated.

It's pretty silly for people to be offended. NBC did the program because they thought it would be good for business -- for ratings. They weren't rolling over for Bush.

And networks & network programs shill for book authors, for actors,for directors, etc. all the time.

The Today Show, GMA, 60 Minutes, The Tonight Show, etc., all book interviews that are designed to promote books and movies.

No one asks, "why would you have Tom Cruise on to promote his new movie when he doesn't come on with us when he doesn't have a movie to promote?"

And it's not like NBC is conflicted like 60 Minutes often is when they're promoting books published by their corporate siblings over at Random House.

(Or when the Today Show gets an interview with someone who has also signed a production deal with NBC Entertainment. Or when GMA flies someone to New York, puts them up at a top hotel, and pays them for "pictures" or other documents, but of course doesn't pay them directly for the interview. Or when you use your show to promote a Broadway show that you invested in.)

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If it were not for books and movies the network talk shows or popular magazines would never see celebrities.

My first thought when I see Tom Cruise on Letterman is what movie does he have coming out.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Buying the book doesn't put money into George W. Bush's pocket. He's already collected that on his advance. It puts money into Barack Obama's pocket, since if W's book sells well, the publishers will figure that the next president's book will do so, as well. And President Palin's after that.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

You shut up and you shut up now.

12. YankeeFan

Was just making a joke. Didn't think yours was funny. Maybe I proved my own point.

As to the book, it's no secret that Bush worked with his former speech writer Christopher Michel to write the book. You act like that's unusual.

http://bit.ly/crKxfr

I'll bet you that more of Bush's words & work ended up in this book than did Hillary's did in her book.

And JFK may have won the Pulitzer, but we all know that Ted Sorensen wrote it for him.

So, yeah, I understand how these books are written.

Draft saved Draft deleted