1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush was Right

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Ah, the fake Catholic who thinks the Dead Sea Scrolls are all totally legitimate.

Why don't you be honest with yourself Fenian and renounce your so-called Catholicism? Or is it your Irish heritage that simply makes you Catholic by birth and not by a circumcision of the heart?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He's gone from Gen. Yawn to Pope Yawn. What's next? Superyawn?

3. A circumcision of the heart?
    If that's not a Bonnie Tyler single that I missed, it's the dumbest phrase in the history of this board.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Tom I honestly don't blame you for thinking that way. I spent years thinking the same thing because the only exposure to Christians was the hate-filled judgemental kind.

But then -- not to get too touchy feely and all -- I went to Easter mass a couple of years ago and the reasons I got back into the church was because I thought the message about love, forgiveness and helping those less fortunate was beautiful.

Don't get me wrong. I'm farrrrrr from perfect. But to see someone perverting that same book and using it as an excuse to hate others makes me sick to my stomach.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

It's a scriptural image, contrasting the circumcision of Jews with the transformation within Christians. But then you don't read the Bible. The Pope decrees from his interpretation and then you reject your Pope anyway.

Fraud.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

andy, if i may say three things:

anytime you want to get touchy feely with me, that's fine ... in a snickers sort of way. ;)

if i offended you with the "fucking christians" line, i apologize.

and, i know very few absolutes in life. one of them is: the god who represents folks such as yawn, is not my god. while i might come on and play the tom petty schtick hard and heavy sometimes, i will admit, i hate very few people in life. hate should be reserved for horribly evil fuckin' bastards, and not a coupla chicks line dancing in a country bar, simply because they chose to be carpet cleaners instead of pole dancers. i've met one too many hate-filled "christians" in my life, who represent a hate-filled god.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Totally agree with Tom on this one. The biggest reason I pulled away from organized religion is because of the very same hate-filled hypocrisy from people like Yawn, DyePack and others, who try to use their faith as a weapon instead of a balm.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Just to be clear: The "see someone perverting that same book and using it as an excuse to hate others" line wasn't directed at Tom Petty. I could never say something negative about the person who wrote the soundtrack to "She's the One" which is one of the top 10 underrated albums of all time in my book. :)

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Faith is compared to a spiritual sword.

Andy and Alley: your Bibles must be full of ripped out pages, all of which were inspired by the same God and canonized as scriptural. The same God that is compassionate can also be angry when his people draw away from him. You criticize people like myself and DyePack who say what we say. So it's OK for you to judge our words but it's not OK for us to stand against certain behaviors? That's funny, and it proves that you really, on your own terms, need to avoid selectively picking what part of God you accept and what part you don't.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I bet if you asked God, She wouldn't be amused with your homophobia.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If God came to Earth today, people like Yawn would shout her down as a pussy hippy. FACT!

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I bet God understood the Apostle Paul speaking in his behalf. Paul had the same issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted