1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush on First Amendment: "Just something we've got to live with"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, May 3, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Guy, I think we've already come to the conclusion that it was irresponsible behavior on Milbank's part. That doesn't, however, excuse the disdain Bush has had for the media.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Depends who "we" is.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Does it really matter if you see, in Fenian's own words, that it was wrong? Isn't it enough to see that there's a general sense that what Milbank did was wrong? Focusing solely on hearing Fenian answer it is looking beyond the issue.

4. I'm sorry. I was away.
    What Milbank did was lazy reporting -- I think, having not seen the speech -- and, therefore, not good.
    However, it matters a great deal who the "we" are because, as has become plain over the past seven years, this president answers only to a decreasing percentage of the American people. And that he would casually toss off that we "just have to live with" and "value for what it is" the most fundamental liberty guaranteed to us by the Constitution he transparently disrespects almost daily is, I think, revelatory of something more than reportorial lassitude. No, I decline any further to grant this president's good faith in preserving and protecting the Constitution. I am not alone in this, I don't believe.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There you go, Guy. Fenian said Milbank was wrong.

So now we should be able to move past that aspect of it, right?

6. Just a pre-emptive strike against the inevitable parsing --

By "not good," I did indeed mean "wrong."

Draft saved Draft deleted