1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush on First Amendment: "Just something we've got to live with"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, May 3, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, though it would be nice if the President of the United States could be just a tad clearer in his statements, wouldn't it?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No doubt on that one. He's often tortured syntax makes it difficult to know exactly where he's going, sometimes. However, in this case, shame on Milbank for the "fun-with-the-quote-function" attempt.

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

HELLO ALLEYALLEN!!! Welcome back!

Now, to the topic at hand. I'm sure my comment will stir up the waters rather roughly, but I truly believe it when I say that I think that the President would be able to more clearly state his thoughts on issues if he fully understood what the issues were. I know there are a thousand comebacks on this, but let's face it. Anyone with sound judgement and understanding would never make such a comment about the media. After all, if the media ignored him and the issues and didnnot keep the American public abreast of them, he would be the first to scream bloddy murder. We all know how the public cuts down the media about poking it's collective nose into everyones business, but we all also know that the public would have our heads if we didn't report on the latest indescretions of eveybody from Brittany Spears to Sanjaya to Bill Clinton. And YES!, I, a Democrat, did say Bill Clinton. But I will willingly add the name of anyone, Republican OR Democrat to the list.

5. Bad quote from an inarticulate source.
    Not that I think he's committed to a free press in any way, not do I believe he could find the Bill of Rights with both hands, but this sounds like a garbled syntax problem.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Are you saying that Milbank misunderstood him? What do you think about his usage of the quote?

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The mother fucker went to Africa and bought yellow cake.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The motherland!

You better pray to God you don't drop that shit.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

From Milbank: "The White House is well aware that it has had some trouble getting out a coherent message on Iraq. In his speech to the contractors, Bush delivered a less-than-ringing endorsement of the First Amendment, calling freedom of the press 'just something that we've all got to live with.' "

As much as I dislike Bush, this was not a fair representation of what the President said. Not good.

10. This man has gone to great lengths to show both his disdain for the press and for freedom in general.

Anyone remember his, "There ought to be limits to freedom," quote from 2000 after some kid spoofed his campaign web site? Turns out he really meant that (Patriot Act => illegal wiretapping, arresting anyone he decides is a terrorist and holding them indefinitely without a trial etc., voter suppression in Ohio and the list goes on).

Then there's the question: If the man readily admits he doesn't read newspapers and one assumes that his only news comes from Fox News and people like Turdblossom, who only tell him what he wants to hear, why does the the guy even care what the media thinks or have an opinion one way or the other on the media? He obviously doesn't give an F what the people of 'Merica think.

11. While I think this quote's been garbled, I'd like to know who the "we" are in that sentence, though -- the folks who have to "just put up" with Amendment 1.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

FB, Answer the frickin question. Was Milbank jouurnalistically responsible, or did he play loose with his ethics to score partisan points?

Draft saved Draft deleted