1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush on "60 Minutes"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wonkintraining, Jan 14, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Throughout the last Presidential election, the right constantly referred to John Kerry as a "flip-flopper" when it came to making decisions. And I am not sure why that should be thought of as a negative. To me, it illustrates a leader who is willing to re-think a failing position. What is so wrong with that? Do we want our leaders to blindly follow their positions, no matter what the cost?

2. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

apparently we did through 2004, anyway.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's good flip-flopping, and there's bad flip-flopping.

Changing a position because of new information or a changing situation or just the realization that you were wrong is fine.

Changing a position because you're a chameleon pandering to polls or the latest mood swing of the electorate is not fine.

I see a little of both in Kerry.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

All I know is there's going to be some disappointed posters in the morning when they click "Bush on 60 Minutes" and get a political discussion.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Lesley Stahl Gone Wild

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kerry knew that we were rushing to war with dubious justification and without exhausting diplomatic solutions. Listen to his speech on the Senate floor the night before the vote. He just didn't have the stones to vote against funding because he thought that it would hurt his chance to be President.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Again, my point here is not hypocricy, so this is not a you do it too. It's that you are misidentifying your complaint. You think it's his inflexibilty but it's really his position and his unwillingness to change it to meet your preferences. The proof is that you don't mind inflexibilty (and might even demonstrate it yourself) when it lines up with your beliefs.

Draft saved Draft deleted