1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush on "60 Minutes"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wonkintraining, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And he got elected because world politics hadn't been the major issue since the Gulf War. That changed pretty suddenly when we were attacked.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Oh, I think that his advisors have deep thoughts -- I just don't think that Bush does.

3. Yeah, Webster, and it definitely caught up with him during his two terms. I hope he writes truthful memoirs one day where he can shed some light on moments where he may have been overwhelmed or felt like he was in over his head. He certainly has gone through that. Not sure if his pride would let him do so.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the East Coast, anyway, 60 Minutes must've gotten beat worse in the ratings than Ohio State in the BCS game.
    In this corner, G.W. Bush. In the other corner, JACK BAUER!

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

My biggest problem with him is he thinks reconsidering a position is weakness.

Sometimes you have more information and your view changes. Sometimes situations change. Sometimes failure shows your original position was incorrect.

This idea of, "This is what I believe and, goddamnit, nobody's going to talk me out of it," is dangerous enough for a football coach, much less the President.

6. Put yourself in his shoes, though.

"I screwed up by getting into this war," would be interpreted - and rightly so - as, "Your sons and daughters died because of my policy mistake." Psychologically, that would be a difficult concession for anyone to come to.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

His answer to, "people in this country seem to think you're stubborn. What do you think?" was pretty eye-opening.

8. Smasher_Sloan

He doesn't have to make a confession. He just has to direct policy in a direction that makes sure more sons and daughters don't meet the same fate. Instead, he's headed the other way.

And the war isn't the only issue on which he's been completely inflexible, it's just the biggest.

9. Guy_Incognito

Have you been flexible on the war?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Have my reasons for opposing involvement in the war proven to be completely wrong?

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Not to mention, Guy, the President is expected to be a statesman, and therefore is held to a higher standard than someone posting on an anonymous message board. Calling hypocrisy here is a bit of a stretch.

12. Guy_Incognito

Not hypocricy (which I've defended here on numerous occasions), but the reality that you are upset at him not for being inflexible, but for disagreeing with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted