1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush: OK, I've got a plan. No, this one will work, honest.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hannity -- an administration lapdog with a short-circuited brain . . . much like the majority of his viewing base.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I would have never sent troops home in the first place. Had we sealed the borders for an extended time, this shit wouldn't have been near as severe.

And I think the REST of the attacks on Christianity speak all that needs to be said about the perception of not only sports journalists, but journalists. It's pretty damn clear that in most churches, the media is viewed with distrust.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dude, politics of fear is what got us into this war. How many times did we hear the word "mushroom cloud" coming from Cheney and Rice's lips? My history of the NSA position is pretty scant, but Rice has to go down as one of the most inept and ill-prepared for the position.

And the more troops thing would have worked a while back. But lets be honest, we're at the point now were more military won't matter if we can't go after Sadr's army. Maliki is Sadr's bitch. Thus, Sadr's army is going to keep terrorizing, leading to reprisals and a cycle of violence we'll be stuck in the middle of.

It'll take diplomacy and conversation to get anything going. Though that'll be near impossible with Sadr. So do we take him out, like we should have done nearly three fucking years ago, and go against the wishes of the majority of Iraqi's who love the guy, and would then riot like we did a color by number with Muhammed? Or do we let Maliki keep yanking our chains? Because that seems to be about the only answers available, unless you know something I don't. Honestly, I'd like a serious answer.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wasn't commenting about whether the Church viewed the media with distrust, I was commenting on the fact that a lot of journalists aren't Christians and then they come on this site and a Christian - Yawn - spouts crazy crap about Muslims and people of a different political party and it probably turns them off even more.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Exactly. I can't even to begin to count the number of times that people have been surprised to learn I attend church (OK, meeting) regularly. After all, I don't believe what Pat Robertson and his ilk do.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It seems you're unfamiliar with tours of duty.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Diplomacy worked with Hitler, didn't it? Stalin?
    Did Lincoln try it in the Civil War?

We have no choice but to go in and try to rectify mistakes. Anything we do will be messy at this point. I'd just like the Democrats to take a position and stay with it. They were advocating troop build ups in November. Hell, at least I can respect Kennedy even though his politics is shitty. He stays consistent and doesn't ask for a poll before running out there to take a stand.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Tour of duty is just a bureaucratic hurdle for not getting things done. One year of solid border seal would have restricted a hell of a lot of tours because we'd have the motherfucker in better shape than now.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Most of those aren't going to change their views anyway.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

This should be said more often. The knee jerk reaction that "Well, Christians are no better" is, truly, sad. Both sides have unfortunate representatives, yet there's a huge difference between the threats posed by radical elements of Christianity and Islam. But as usual, the media gravitate toward the extremes. And many people follow in lockstep.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's a great attitude to take. I hope you enjoy your time in purgatory. Methinks you'll be there for a while.

EDIT: Not refering to you, Pall.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The problem with that is the very government we're trying to save and build up is also the one you're ready to destroy then. Sadr is the problem, but he's also the government and the military. You keep him empowered, the status quo continues. You take him out, shit blows up and Baghdad looks like Fallujah did. And Maliki is beholden to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted