1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush: No warrant? No problem, go ahead and open that mail anyway.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jan 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only if Congress lets him..

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. How do they stop him?
    Will the country support defunding the war? The courts are stacked with people who believe in this unitary executive bullshit and, if impeachment's off the table, as the new D leadership already has said it is, he can just ignore what Congress and the courts say because of opinions written up by his toy lawyers and his pet AG.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

http://www.impeachbush.org/site/PageServer

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

1). Did Lincoln or FDR do anything like this? As Bush's apologists (and I'm not one of them. This bothers me, too) may point out, we are at war and when you're at war, the President has to be able to do whatever he has to do to win the war. When Lincoln and FDR were President, the country accepted things like this because they knew (or assumed) there was a good reason for it.
    2). How have we gotten to the second page of this thread without Yawn, Lyman or Old Tony posting?

6. Lincoln and FDR did similar things, but not the same, and all with the consent of the Congress, and not by signing bills and then writing their own exemptions, and basing that power on a theory of executive power that would have made the Founders vomit. And as is said often, this is a "war" because the president says so. We were attacked by an international criminal gang. And the president has said that the war will last as long as he says it will.

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Anyone suggesting this is okay has to be asked: Would you mind if the police knocked down your door without a warrant, stopped and searched your care without probable cause or sent you to a secret prison indefinitely without being charged?

The terrorists hate our freedoms that's why we need to surrender them.

8. More of this shit, by the way.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070105/ap_on_go_pr_wh/white_house_visitors

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'll believe the oversight when I see it.

[​IMG]

10. HERE, HERE.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Well, to me, oversight means and only means a systematic destruction of 26 years of failed conservative legislation, including but certainly not limited to the Patriot Act, Military Tribunals Act, Telecommunications Act, oppressive Reagan-era bills that crippled labor unions, total revocation of corporate charters for Halliburton, Exxon, Lockheed, DuPont (and Wal-Mart), and, finally, impeach, prosecute and PUNISH this president and his administration to the fullest extent the law allows.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bloody knuckles, from all that dragging, make it tough to type for yeehaws Yawn, Lyman and Hondo.

Or maybe even those yeehaw morons can't defend this.

Probably the knuckles though.

Draft saved Draft deleted