1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush memoirs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 26, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

End well this thread will not.

2. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

I want to hear GWB explain 3 things in his book: 1) how he choked on the pretzel 2) just how intimidated was he by Helen Thomas' questions 3) if he finally knows how to tell the "if you fool me once, shame on you" joke.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just want to know what he thought when he realized Iraq had no nukes and why he decided to show Rummy the door and not pardon Scooter.

His problem, even with Iraq getting better, is that he must have given five or six reasons for going into Iraq during his presidency. These things are always self-serving and I doubt there will be detailed anecdotes or other "tick tock" statements, events, meetings that a journo will be able to go back and blow a hole through.
    His strength (and his weakness) as a President was that he governed in a manner that said "I don't care what people think."

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My view on Bush has softened in the 15 months (has it really been that long?) since he left office but I still feel like he failed overall and I'm sure most here would agree with me. I'll be interested to read this mainly for his 9/11 views and his thoughts on why we were never able to find those weapons in Iraq.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The W movie was interesting in that it was almost sympathetic toward him. While I do think he was ripe for caricature - there is/was a lot more nuance to him than he'd like to admit. But I think he felt he needed to be a "with us or against us" kind of guy in order for him to deal with the post-9/11 world.
    I figured we were going to Iraq as soon as the ink was dry on the Supreme Court decision. I don't think it was simply to get even with Saddam trying to kill his dad, or for oil, or to "one-up" his dad - but a kind of insecurity of himself, about his country and realizing he was following a popular President in Clinton. He wasn't going to out-smooth Bill, - he needed to set a new tack, like a disciplinarian coming in to coach a team after a "player's coach."

I do find it interesting that the book's pub date is a week after the mid-term elections. No doubt there will be some leaking before it comes out, but I doubt anything would come out that will hurt the party or distract from the last days of the campaign. Figure Fox, Today and 60 Minutes will push the thing, but it is odd, you don't hear Bush's name come up much in the current political discourse.

Draft saved Draft deleted