1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Meets Deficit Commitment- Early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

But your president's holy war does not.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You don't need to look at a few thousand pages to get a sense of budget. Just a pie chart will do.

[​IMG]

Here is one for 2005 - Note that 58% is for social programs - Social security. medicaid, medicare, ect.  That part of budget is pretty much fixed and increasing with little ability to cut.

The system is great reliant on  strong economy with steady flow of tax revenue. In 2001 revenue side went down mostly due to economy tanking.

As Bush was creating his budget for 2002 he had a choice to make. He could try to cut the spending to better match decreased revenue or he could try to stimulate the economy by cutting taxes further. I think he made the right decision.  Given what happen after 9/11 I think its a miracle that the economy is in as good a shape as it is. 

As sidelight to budget study you can clearly see the need for social security reform.  The costs will continue to rise but the amount of money coming in will decrease because there will be a smaller work force.

3. Marxism can work in extremely small communities where eveyone basically is in the same job (like a religious community). But that's about it.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm not going back through the previous five pages of this damn thing to figure out how we went from a discussion on Fredo's "improved" deficit to Reagan's role in ending the Cold War. I simply don't care.

I would like to point out, however, that Republicans who continue to bring up Reagan whenever possible, they're not really helping out the jackoff currently occupying the White House. It makes him look worse -- much worse. Sort of reminds everyone that even other Republicans weren't as dumb as this dipshit.

So, please, carry on.

5. Who would ever want to read that book?

6. Rarely does somebody sum up their whole intellectual history in eight words.
    Well played.

7. That was a joke to JR (as was the earlier igloo comment). Maybe you should refrain from commenting on things which you are ignorant of?

Then again - that would leave you with nothing to post on.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Damn, Lou questioning FB's intelligence.

Kind of like Fredo questioning someone's public speaking skills.

9. dog --
    Jokes used to have to be funny.
    I guess everything did change on 9/11.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey dog I am assuming that you sent back your rebate checks in protest right?

11. Boom --
    You mean my refund that was arranged to come back to me a few months early?
    Rebate, my ass.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Rebate --- hahahahahaha.

Being that I'm not among the top 1% of earners in this country, my rebate, like most Americans, was so miniscule it made very little difference to ME, much less the black hole of a deficit we've got. I'll say this, however: Had the tax cut issue been put to a vote, I would've voted against it, paid what I had been paying and been perfectly fine. I'd vote to give up the tax "rebate" right now. In fact, I'd vote to do away with every single decision made by the Bush administration in the last five-plus years.

Far as I can tell, there hasn't been one decent decision in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted