1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Meets Deficit Commitment- Early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. On another note, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is a little ... off. I'm watching the replay of last night's Colbert Report and he's claiming Bush stole the election. The 2004 election, in Ohio. Oy.

Colbert did have a great line: "What was better, for Bush to steal the vote in Ohio in 2004 or for your uncle to steal the vote in Illinois in 1960." RFK Jr., to his credit, pointed out Illinois didn't make the difference and there was "cheating" on both sides in 1960.

Also, I need a life. If JJ Reddick can go out drinking on a Monday, I should be out on a Tuesday.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good Golly Miss Molly, more nonsense about how Reagan was singlehandedly responsible for the end of the Cold War and the fall of communism.

3. I don't see the word "singlehandedly" in that sentence, JR.

Thatcher, JP II and (believe it or not) Gorbachev all had roles in it, too.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, the usual stance from the Reaganites is that Ronnie was responsible for the fall of communism. You can look it up.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" is their war cry.

Unfortunately, history is a little more complicated.

Communism fell because of events within the countries--Poland and the Czech Republic --are good examples.

Credit for the fall of communism in the Czech Republic goes to the protesters and those who went on strike.

The Poles ended communism --not the result of some outside influence.

Ronald Reagan, because of his personal relationship with Gorbachev gets an assist on it. He wasn't responsible for it.

5. JR - you read your own bias into my statement. I agree 100% with what Lyman said. I would also add the brave folks at Solidarity in Poland (which is also part of the JP II angle). Team effort but the US picked up much of the bill.

BTW - yesterday was the anniversary of the Brandenburg gate speech. People remember the tear down this wall but forget how he ended the speech:
    Reagan was a great man.

6. Agreed on all counts, Lou. Reagan was the main man, but there were a lot of others, too.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You miss the point.

Reagan was NOT the main man. There's no empirical historical evidence to back up that claim

"A lot of others?"

What is this, the "Ronnie Show" with a supporting cast of millions?

You can believe or not believe whether Reagan was a great man or not but luckily he happened to be in the right place at the right time. Nothing wrong with that but let's not give him more credit than he deserves.

He was a part of a historical phenomena. He didn't create it.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It is possible to honor your St. Ronald without being historically stupid about his actual achievements or indulging in childish nonsense about him "ending the Cold War."

The best thing you can say about him is that he sounded and acted like a president, in stark contrast to the simple-minded chimp currently residing on Pennsylvania Avenue.

9. Yes, he MAY meet his deficit projections early -- cutting the deficit he ran up in half - if you don;t count either war.
    I'm throwing the parade now.
    Once again, history becomes a dangerous garden tool in the wrong hands. Communism "fell" under Bush 41. The deficit ballooned because Reagan signed on the the lunacy of the supply-side economists' pipe dream -- or, as his own budget director put it, "A trojan horse to bring down the top rate" in the first half of Reagan's first term, throwing the economy into the recession of '82 and costing him a piece of his congressional majority.
    As to the rest, well, at least the pope's getting props for it now that he's dead.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lee, I was never a big fan (politically) of Reagan but I agree with you.

11. Lee, you and I have a truce, and I'm going to honor it, even if it kills me. :)

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

JR, the apotheosis and Lincoln-esque funeral procession was a tad excessive (cherubic angels were the only thing missing), but it's hard to hate on him as a person.

Ronnie Jr. has said many times his father would not be in league with this meaner, dumber Republican Party.

Reagan throwing down a trident and ending the Cold War is as deeply entrenched in neocon mythology as Gore's supposed pronouncements that he invented the Internet. Those manipulations are here to stay ... or as long as this group remains in power.

Lyman, I have no quarrel with you, my man.

Draft saved Draft deleted