1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Meets Deficit Commitment- Early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. If you received a tax-rebate check, didn't send it back and are bitching about deficits, you are a supreme hypocrite. And in the liberal orthodoxy of today, that is the worst thing you can be, isn't it?

2. I spent my tax rebate check on this nice imported ivory back-scratcher.

Thanks George W

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1963? I don't think so. Unless you want to count military "advisors" milling around in Vietnam.

March 8, 1965 -- The first U.S. combat troops arrive arrive in Vietnam, as 3500 Marines land at China Beach to defend the American air base at Da Nang. They join 23,000 American military advisors already in Vietnam. The arrival of combat troops is considered by some the start of the war, although American military advisors have been in Vietnam for over 10 years.

It's not really a good thing or a bad thing.

Value has incresaed only because the real estate market is nuts.

But the only way to realize a profit is to sell . . . and move to a place with low real estate prices.

Not really an option.

So property taxes are higher NOT because the community needs more money or is building more things . . . but because of a ridiculous rise in prices that borders on insanity.

It's called "population increase."

An average of 140,000 workers are added to the tax payroll EVERY MONTH simply because of population increase.

So unless there is a serious recession or depression, every year pretty much sees "record" tax revenues.

4. JackS

JackS Guest

I didn't send my check back, but I do remember thinking how stupid it was that I got a check I didn't need.  And God almighty Boom, I'm sure you needed it 10 times less than I did.  I think I just donated mine somewhere.

I hate the constant Bush bashing threads too, but Sportschick's take is exactly right.  Why would you brag about Bush halving a deficit he created?

5. There is no right-wing echo chamber on this board. When you're outnumbered about 40-1, it's pretty darned difficult to have one.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clinton had a balanced budget because Newt Gindrich held his feet to the fire. He had no choice. Do you recall the situation when he first meet Monica?

7. Having been a lurker for some time, I would estimate you guys were out-numbered at most 1.5-1 in the early days of the Bush administration. Just sayin'.

8. BTExpress

You have control of the Oval Office.

You have control of the Senate.

You have control of the House.

No one needs to hold anybody's feet to the fire.

So what's your fucking excuse for this ridiculous deficit?

9. Its always been about 20-1 here.

Always

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jack - how did the president create the deficit?

11. BTExpress

It's real complicated, so bear with me here.

BY BEING THE ONLY PRESIDENT IN HISTORY TO NEVER VETO A SPENDING BILL.

Class dismissed.

12. Let's see.

Last time we ran deficits like this it was when Reagan was President and he needed to spend money to modernize the military and win something called the Cold War. At the same time he boosted the economy to the point where Bush 1 and Clinton were able to reap the benefits.

Now George W has to again retool the military because Clinton let things slide something bad (ask Colin Powell about that). He was faced with an economy devestated by 9/11. He is fighting the war on terror in both Iraq and Afghanistan and on top of that the baby boomer generation is starting to retire and further strain social security and medicare (two expenses that are non-discretionary). Yet even having to face all the above - the tax revenues at at record highs, the un-employment levels are basically at full-employment, home ownership is at an all-time high and the deficits that were necessary to keep the country going are now coming under control. The next President who takes office will be in good shape.

And if the Democrats run Al Gore - the next President will be a Republican.

Draft saved Draft deleted