1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush league, or standard operating procedure?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Aug 7, 2007.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

So a place flies me in for an interview. But instead of calling me to let me know I didn't get the job, they do so via e-mail. When you are one of only three or so finalists, I think that at least the courtesy should be extended to let them know in a more personal manner. But I could be wrong. So, is this bush league, or standing operating procedure?

Also, I am going to look into doing something more fulfilling with my life than working in this industry, like sawing off my extremities with a butter knife. Or hunting gophers. Too bad I'm not qualified to do anything but be a sports writer.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I think that is pretty shitty to fly you out and not tell you over the phone you didn't get the gig. Of course, I got flown out for an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal three years ago and I still haven't heard back from them...not even a freakin' e-mail.

3. If they paid your expenses for an interview it seems like a phone call would have been a courtesy. Sounds bush league to me, but no one's ever paid me to interview, so what the fuck do I know?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. ;)

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bush league all the way.

Sadly, though, not that out of the norm. Does anyone in this business not have a horrendous hiring (or not hiring, as the case might be) story?

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

I was hired by a sports editor then unhired when I had lunch with the publisher and told him I wouldn't write features on someone just becasue Dad was a big advertiser.

That was about 3,000,000 published words ago.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bush League, Carl. Once they bring you in for the interview, they should make a call to let you know if you didn't get the job.

Some folks are too scared to do that, I guess.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's both bush league AND par for the course. this is a communications business with nothing but spineless chickenshits in management across the board.:eek: :mad: ::) 8)

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The fact that they notified you at all puts them ahead of about 80% of the field.

Many, if not most, places interview you, say "we'll let you know," then about six weeks later, you figure it out.

10. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

A little off topic but I had a boss once who told every candidate he didn't hire that "sorry, but you were the No. 2 choice." I guess to soften the blow of not getting the job ... Sometimes I'd hear him saying that over and over to dozens of folks. But hey, at least he called them all back.

11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I'm just the type of guy who would like to know why I'm getting rejected so I can improve myself for the future, whether that might be from a prospective employer or a lady. Of course, the one time a chick dumped me because I was "clumsy in the sack" was a bit of a blow, but hey, at least it was honest and I knew what to fix. And really, that's all I'm asking for. Some spine. You don't see that in this field, apparently.

12. hell

last thing i interviewed for, they still haven't called me, emailed me or sent me a telegram

it's been a year. i guess i didn't get it

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted