1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Family To NOLA: Go Ahead And Sink

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Unbelievable.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070314/ap_on_re_us/katrina_faulty_pumps

Paging Mr. Dangerously. Mr. J Dangerously.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Does Bush bear some responsibility in ensuring that the area is "fixed" correctly? Absolutely. But its the Army COE, usually a pretty solid bunch, who jacked this one up. They should definitely be called to the carpet for this one.

Sorry, Fen, but in pseudo-military instances like this, I'm well aware of how the chain of command works and how long it can take for something like this to filter all the way up to the president. The onus is clearly on the COE guy in charge.

3. But I don't believe these facts are unrelated:

The drainage-canal pumps were custom-designed and built under a $26.6 million contract awarded after competitive bidding to Moving Water Industries Corp. of Deerfield Beach, Fla. It was founded in 1926 and supplies flood-control and irrigation pumps all over the world.

MWI is owned by J. David Eller and his sons. Eller was once a business partner of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush in a venture called Bush-El that marketed MWI pumps. And Eller has donated about $128,000 to politicians, the vast majority of it to the Republican Party, since 1996, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

MWI has run into trouble before. The U.S. Justice Department sued the company in 2002, accusing it of fraudulently helping Nigeria obtain $74 million in taxpayer-backed loans for overpriced and unnecessary water-pump equipment. The case has yet to be resolved.

Because of the trouble with the New Orleans pumps, the Corps has withheld 20 percent of the MWI contract, including an incentive of up to $4 million that the company could have collected if it delivered the equipment in time for the 2006 hurricane season.

Misgivings about the pumps were chronicled in a May 2006 memo provided to the AP by Matt McBride, a mechanical engineer and flooded-out Katrina victim who, like many in New Orleans, has been closely watching the rebuilding of the city's flood defenses.

The memo was written by Maria Garzino, a Corps mechanical engineer overseeing quality assurance at an MWI test site in Florida. The Corps confirmed the authenticity of the 72-page memo, which details many of the mechanical problems and criticizes the testing procedures used.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, also there are several issues here. One, the right company may not have gotten the job because they went with the Bush family political crony which may not have been the most competent. That would be a shame, if it's true. It's implied in that story.

That said, the explanation in the middle of the story sounded somewhat plausible. They had to create these pumps from scratch, without any sort of road map and figure out how to make them work. And they were being asked to do it on a deadline. That's hard enough stuff to do for the private-sector, which usually has a profit motive to bust ass and get it done. I can't imagine a government bureaucracy, supported by a company working on a government contract, pulling it off. Sounds like a nightmare, even if they had the perfect people in place. Not that that's a complete excuse. After Katrina, there should have been someone somewhere with the expertise, who cared enough to just find a way to get it done.

5. I think, after what happened during the storm, the rebuilding of NOLA at the very least ought to be a crony-free zone.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No argument there. I just don't feel like blaming Bush anytime anything negative happens.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit, Fenian.

Bush was taken to task right after Katrina for not making meaningless gestures of sympathy soon enough or well enough to suit you lefties.

Now he goes and makes an expensive and meaningless gesture to protect the citizens to keep you commies off his back and you're still not happy.

The fact that his bro's cronies got a little sumpin in the deal is irrelevant.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the people in the Netherlands have this down?
    That whole country is below sea level and they seem to manage. Why not just copy what they are doing?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

We'd have to legalize marijuana to make that happen.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus, this administration doesn't seem to be fond of dikes.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He'll be here all week folks...

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A+

Draft saved Draft deleted