1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush comes out strong against Congress "fishing expedition"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KnuteRockne, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This ain't nothing.

The buck stops here.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A BJ is a lot worse than dismantling portions of the U.S. justice system in the name of politics. Didn't you know that? ::)

3. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Bill cream, a little dab'll do ya . . .

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Does it not all seem a little petty -- this shit with the prosecutors?

Now, I don't give a shit how or why they knock around this White House group, but this here doesn't have a real good feel to me. I mean, all the other shit out there -- the wiretapping, the Iraq lies, the Plame stuff, etc. -- and we're jumping up and down over the firing of some judges? It just has a blown-by-an-intern feel to it. And I think that's how a large portion of the American public will see it.

At this point, the Dems have the power. It's time to start tossing around subpoenas and asking about important shit. I don't want to catch these assholes on lying or covering up emails -- not when they've blatantly violated the Constitution on NUMEROUS occasions.

I think that if the Dems carry through with this, it will wind up hurting them. They need to go big. And pick something the majority of this country can understand and get behind.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree that this seems like an odd place to pick your fight, Dog, but maybe the Democrats feel this is a way to open the door to much bigger fish in need of frying. Just a thought....

6. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

It's all political posturing because W. has the ultimate trump card: Executive power. He can file to quash the subpoenas and tie things up in court for a couple of years. And given that he has only 21 months left in office, well, even with my 410 math SAT score I can see he'll just run out the clock.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Dog, while I agree that quite a few people will see this as petty, it is certain to open the door.

The Dems canNOT go after W and company on wire tapping and all that other shit because they would love every single minute of it. They would use it as another means to say, "We are trying to keep you safe and the Democrats are just trying to weaken us."

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Al Capone murdered a lot of people in his day, but what got him in prison was tax evasion.

You have to go with your strongest case to make your point, and the evidence is showing that this is the strongest case -- yet.

What does the hiring and firing of US Attorneys have to do with the Patriot Act? Not much, really. Yet, it was the Justice Administration that stealthily inserted the provision in the reauthorization of the act. No one was apparently aware of the loophole until the AG used it.

To use a law that's supposed to protect Americans from terrorism for purely political purposes is disgusting and just further proof that this administration will stop at nothing to advance (or inflict?) its agenda -- regardless of whether it has the support of the American people.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't know. Maybe all of you are right and this shit will work out.

That's assuming they can get Rove to put his hand on a Bible without it and him immediately bursting into flames.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Karl Rove? Under oath?

Nooooooooo...

Actually I think he'd tell the truth and dare a prosecutor to go after him... like Mo-Mo wouldn;t pardon him

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bush is so misunderstood.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, indeed . . . mostly by those who voted for him -- twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted