1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush comes out strong against Congress "fishing expedition"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KnuteRockne, Mar 20, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Apparently, he doesn't think Rove and Miers should have to testify under oath.

"I will oppose any attempt to subpoena White House officials."

I guess what ticks me off about this is that when they were busy bugging everyone's phones and going through records, the GOP talking point, issued through conservative pundits nationwide, was, "Well, if you don't have anything to hide, what do you have to worry about?"

Doesn't the same apply here?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/20/us.attorneys.firings/index.html

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Of course the same doesn't apply. Nobody in the White House is Islamic or Democratic.

3. I wouldn't trust Karl Rove even if he were under oath, but it's the best we can do.
    He's holding a low pair, boys. Call him.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

George, did you ever hear the legend of Darth Milhous the Crooked?

[​IMG]

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Excuse me, W?

It's abundantly clear this is NO fishing expidition.

Not putting these guys under oath is like not putting the Big Oil execs under oath . . . simply giving them license to lie, lie, lie, tra, la, la their way out the door . . .

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That bunch would lie if the truth sounded better.

That is the reason why they're afraid to be sworn — not that they have done anything illegal, but that they would perjure themselves. As usual, it's not the crime, it's the cover-up. We've seen this movie before, haven't we?

7. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

That's exactly what I was saying last night.

The official Limbaugh-issued talking point is that, "Clinton fired all 93 judges." But he did it above board. That's the point. No one would give a damn if these eight were fired out in the open, legally. It's not that they were fired - which Gonzalez and Bush keep trying to focus on to manage the story. It's the cover up, as always. (see: Plame, Valerie).

8. Oh, and before the Bullshit Express really gets rolling, here's a little flashback circa 1998 from an important pundit regarding executive privilege:
    " Evidently, Mr. Clinton wants to shield virtually any communications that take place within the White House compound on the theory that all such talk contributes in some way, shape or form to the continuing success and harmony of an administration. Taken to its logical extreme, that position would make it impossible for citizens to hold a chief executive accountable for anything. He would have a constitutional right to cover up.
    Chances are that the courts will hurl such a claim out, but it will take time.
    One gets the impression that Team Clinton values its survival more than most people want justice and thus will delay without qualm. But as the clock ticks, the public's faith in Mr. Clinton will ebb away for a simple reason: Most of us want no part of a president who is cynical enough to use the majesty of his office to evade the one thing he is sworn to uphold -- the rule of law."

I suspect Tony Snow's opinion has evolved since.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Great get.

Eat shit, Tony.

10. boots

boots New Member

I'm behind the President. He's on a losing ship and he's going down with it.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's his taking the rest of us down with his sorry behind that's the concern . . .

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yesterday was vintage W. Petulance and bullshit . . . all learned from Mommy.

Draft saved Draft deleted