1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush caught cussin'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mmmm_Donuts, Jul 17, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I couldn't give a fuck about Bush cussin', but since we're on the topic:

A "word" in itself is not bad. It's the meaning behind it that makes it "bad." The word can mean whatever you want it to mean. There's no such thing as a "bad word."

For instance, if two people are pissed off and one yells "SHIT!" and the other yells "SHOOT!" ... what's the difference? They're expressing the same anger, they're expressing the same feeling with the same intensity ... the word shouldn't make any difference. It's how you say it, why you say, to whom you say it, and the context of the situation you say it in, that makes it mean what it does. But one word or the other isn't bad, in and of themselves.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Someone explain this to me: Why is the 'cussing' the story here, instead of the fact that a live mike was recording a private conversation between the president of the US and the British prime minister?

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

What do you think is going through Tony Blair's mind at times like this -- trying to talk Mideast policy with Bush, who's treating him like the help as he launches bread crumbs and bullshit swagger in response?

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I've heard him on unknown open mike twice.

Twice, he's unloaded an expletive.

I guess we are fortunate he didn't say "fucking Arabs."

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's news because the President did it. If the President slurs his words or uses bad grammar, that too is fair game.

If he is a Christian, that it is legitmate to ask why he uses that kind of language.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts exactly. I wanted to hear what Blair had to say because I suspected it would be something reasonable. And Bush kept interupting him. Was anyone else surprised that these are arguably the two most powerful men in the world and they were basically having the same conversation many of us have had in the last few days--at the water cooler, over morning coffee? So basically the situation is exactly as it seems, and we are fucking helpless to do anything about it because Syria, of all places, thinks we're a joke. I can't imagine why.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I was thinking pretty much that.

How fucking lowbrow and unenlightening.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's not a real Christian, that's part of the masquerade. He's been asked his favorite bible verse many times and is as blank as can be.

I don't have a problem with him saying "shit," I have a problem with him finding a way, without fail, to humiliate his people at every turn. The cloven-hooved Barbara should have taught this asshole some table manners, among other things.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Boy, now there's a superpower worth having. When you sit on the judgement throne, will that video of the panther (or whatever that is) leaping out of the bush be on a big screen behind you?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And nobody has jumped on Bush for the more grievous error: misuse of the term irony. Standards are sliping around here.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm saying the messianic president act is worn like a cheap overcoat. He did it for the votes and you know it.

I have some Christian acts yet to perform on my checklist, so don't be compiling my highlight video just yet.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Lee — I love the avatar.

Current SportsJournalists.com avatar rankings:

1.) Pastor Crass
    2.) Lee Jackson Beauregard
    3.) kokane_muthashed

Draft saved Draft deleted