1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Adminstration Gets Creepier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And because the White House didn't, in your opinion, have plans for a government response to a catastrophic condition such as Katrina, you and your buddies lambasted him.

Can't have it both ways Fens. But Lord knows you'll try.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, hondo, you're saying that at the next stiff breeze, Bush will take over the federal government and that works for you?

He is doing a heckuva job, and all.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Great absolutist thinking Hondo. How about thinking realistically. The beef isn't that Bush came up with a plan, but the substance of his plan was, how to put it, Constitutionally questionable.

When you're actually ready to address that point, get back to us.

4. This is beneath you.
    There was a plan for handling storms like Katrina. There was once a FEMA that actually worked. This administraion came in and wrecked both of those -- the former by ignoring it, and the latter by infesting it with incompetent cronies. So your basic point would be incorrect on the facts even if it were coherent, which it isn't.
    This is an administration which, literally, believes that there are no limits, constitutional or otherwise, on the power of the Executive. They -- and their legal enablers -- have stated this very clearly, and some of them (like the VP) have been saying it for a very long time. It is the function of every administration to have disaster plans in place. It is this one, and this one alone, that refuses to let members of Congress see it, and demands that we trust it to do the right thing, despite having dissipated its credibility in this area for the past seven years.
    Yeesh.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think I addressed the very crux of the point. After Katrina, Bush got drilled because the federal government wan't stepping in enough (especially where state and local government failed, and miserably). Now, he's getting ripped for wanting to be prepared.

And is there anything about the Congress that inspires any confidence that they'd take care of things?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ask anyone in south Florida how FEMA worked after Andrew in 1991.

7. It seems to me that south Florida is rebuilt and functioning as a habitat for human beings. NOLA -- to say nothing of the gulfside parishes -- ah. not so much. It also seems to me that I didn't see anybody on their roofs three days after the storm, or drowning in their attics.
    If you seriously want to argue the performance of FEMA under Clinton and the performance of FEMA under Bush, you're in the wrong thread for it, and, damn do you have like no ammunition on your side.
    And, anyway, your fundamental point is, again, wrong. There WERE plans for dealing with Katrina. The administration ignored every damn one of them.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hondo, you didn't address the crux of the point. Not at all. You're saying:
    a) We bashed Bush for not having a plan pre-Katrina
    b) We bashed Bush for having a plan pre-another 9/11

No one is bashing Bush for having a plan. It's the substance of the plan we despise.

Don't you get that?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Also, Hondo, it's not a matter of confidence in Congress. It's a matter of Constitutionality. Of course, if that's not a concern of yours, then I weep for civil liberties everywhere. Including your ability to post on a message board.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

hondo,

Bush's father was president during 1991. Sure you want to go there?

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Previously when a blackout would occur in my house, I had no plan.

Now, when a blackout occurs my plan is to set my coffee table and couch on fire to generate light.

Since I now have a plan people should praise me.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's a hell of a plan, Pastor.

Treat yourself to a nap this afternoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.