1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush acknowledges the sacrifice of soldiers ... by giving up golf

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, May 13, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit of Bush plays golf or not. Hell, bomb away.

This makes me sad though...

Total number of military funerals Bush has attended: 0

But hey, nobody suffers more, Laura says, watching it on TV.

If you want to understand sacrifice, if you really believe the cause is just, then look people in the eye when they bury their sons, daughters, husbands, wives, fathers and mothers. And just to shoot down the talking points, it doesn't fucking matter what Clinton did or did not do, or how many funerals he did or did not attend. If you say you're better, be better. If you really believe you're doing the right thing, have the courage to see the cost up close.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What, you want him to go out among the Great Unwashed (not a prevetted crowd comprised of one or more of the various preferred brianwashed types preferred by the scene-stagers)?

Asking a lot, aren't you?

Your name, sir?

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And that's before moveon.org got ahead of it. You can find something negative in anything. Shit, you even said you understood what he was trying to say. It's obvious by now the man isn't the greatest orator in the world, so why twist this into something that he wasn't skilled enough to mean?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Because we should expect more from the leader of the free world, plain and simple. No matter how well meaning his statement was (and I could care less that it's golf he's giving up. he could have given up beer and it wouldn't have made a difference), it comes off as incredibly hollow and shallow. Even you should see that.

And if you don't demand more out of your president, then you should be ashamed to be settling for second best leading a first-rate country.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't stand Bush as much as anybody on this boarda lot. I understand what he said. I don't think this one is outrageous or wrong. We all get what he was saying. It looks bad to for him to play golf while soldiers are dying.

You guys are trying a little too hard on this one. JMO.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'm not going to criticize people for their weaknesses. What I will criticize the man about is his blank look the other day when a reporter asked him if $4 a gallon gas concerned him and he asked "what predictions?" He knows more about the oil industry than any president we've had so he damn sure should know what's going on. But he's not a good speaker, never has been, and struggles with the English language.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So his Spanish is a lot better?

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

What's your point?

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Historically there have been presidents who weren't great speakers.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

William Henry Harrison paid the price for trying to be a great speaker.

And since Bush has compared Iraq to WWII, I don't believe anyone begrudged FDR for taking vacations at Warm Springs. Not only did they know that he was working his butt off, but FDR asked Americans to sacrifice their personal wants and needs (food, gas, travel restrictions) to help the war effort.

Bush, on the other hand, has never asked to sacrifice anything. I saw a Repub. talking head on one of the talk shows, when asked what Americans are sacrificing, made some lame comment about how every American feels the pain when a soldier dies, and that pain should be enough.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Does there have to be one?

Draft saved Draft deleted