1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush acknowledges the sacrifice of soldiers ... by giving up golf

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, May 13, 2008.

1. Of course, it could be bullshit.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080513/pl_afp/usiraqpoliticsbushgolf_080513212030

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

They left out this quote:

"I can't wait for this war to be over so I can work on my short game," Bush said. "Last month's Golf Digest had a great article on how to be a better chipper, and I'm itching to try out those tips.
    "That's why I've asked you to come here today to announce we've set a timetable for troop withdrawal."

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The editorial cartoons provoked by this should be priceless.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, we've had two big ones in the last 15 years (Cheney and Reagan respectively) ... and yet, here we are.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Let's see. Soldiers sacrifice their lives for their country. Dubya sacrificed his short game. Seems like an even trade to me.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

From a journalism/PR perspective, I'm wondering why Bush's handlers aren't knocking him out with the same psychotropic drugs being used on illegal immigrants being sent back home. Almost every time he opens his mouth, he sounds like one of those well-intentioned but socially-inept high school freshmen. Maybe he should take the Ronald Reagan approach and hold up his hand to his ear like he can't hear the questions being asked.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

This is the character and judgment that has made this man such a great president.

If I were a mom whose son had just died in Iraq, I could overlook parroting in the flight suit while declaring combat operations over, "Bring 'em on" and joking about looking for WMDs under the desk in his office. But yeah, if I saw him swinging off a tee, I'd be pissed.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

PRESUMING the reported quote is accurate (and I've heard no denials):

Detached enough?

Removed from reality, enough?

Bubble Boy?

The mind reels.

Defend him, Defenders. C'mon.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Guess he finally got around to watching Fahrenheit 9/11

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

George Bush and common sense are complete strangers.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Poke the fun all you want, funny boys.

President W also supports the troops in many other ways. For example, he had a lackey place a yellow ribbon magnet on Air Force One.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted