1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bus driver killed after swiping side mirror

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

65-year old bus driver in the Bronx accidentally took off the side mirror of a car that was double parked on a narrow street. Bus driver got out to look at the damage. Owner of the car confronts him and punches so hard the guy fell and smacked his head on the pavement. Bus driver went into a coma and never woke up.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/24/12383884-bronx-school-bus-driver-beaten-into-coma-dies?lite

One thing I got to mention about the story that the print version didn't (video did). The guy was on life support and the family decide to pull the plug. I don't have issues with that but it is a fact that should definitely be mentioned in the story.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Jeez, folks, lighten up. It's only driving.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

The guy should get life and prison, plus a ticket for being double parked.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's in the second graph of the story you linked.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He already has life.

Oh, life in prison. I don't know. It's not murder, it's definitely manslaughter, probably second- or third-degree. He'll probably get a handful of years with a plea deal.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

What the fuck is wrong with people?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This wasn't premeditated. There was no need to assault the bus driver, but things like this happen semi-regularly.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, they shouldn't. You are double parked and a huge bus knocks off your mirror. Duh! Your vehicle was in the way! You don't cold cock the guy driving the bus! Not murder, but still no excuse for it whatsoever.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's murder in a lot of places. Would be second-degree where I'm from.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Remember stories like this when people talk casually about punching someone.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Murder typically involves premeditation. I am not a lawyer, etc., but surely doesn't seem to be much premeditation here.

Agreed. By saying it happens on occasion I'm referring more to what Rick says, some guy gets punched at a pub, hits his head off the bar or a stool, etc. Tragic, yes. Murder, usually not.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Just because there is no premeditation doesn't mean the guy is not a first class piece of shit. I saw the video. The guy is a piece of shit. And seeing it brings me back to my original question, which is what the fuck is wrong with people?

Draft saved Draft deleted