1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burwell plays the race card with Mike Anderson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hate-Miser2, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know. I'm the guy's wife or shrink or confidant. I don't know what went into his thought process in deciding to bolt. But it's obvious that if he were truly happy at Mizzou, dream job or not, he would've remained there.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Not completely true...I'm a Portland State grad and at the lower levels you expect your coach to move on once they reach a level of success...I was happy to see Ken Bone get the chance at Washington State, and now the Cougars are on the rise.

Butler is fortunate to have Matt Stevens...we'll see how long he stays...some coaches prefer the smaller aquarium. Most prefer a chance to swim in the ocean, but not all :)

I think your point holds true at the major college level, though. I guess colleges should offer more lifetime contracts.

3. Burwell lost all credibility years ago with the whole Mel Kiper Jr/Trev Alberts debacle.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What was that about? Not the original story; I know that.

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Hippies? Arkansas? Have we slipped the surly bounds of both space and time?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also: Does no one in America know what the word 'smarmy' means?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fayetteville is a typical college town. Full of dirty, idealistic young (and occasionally old) punks who reek of petuli oil and/or entitlement. And drink shitty, overpriced beer. :)

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is that why you ask everybody where they went to high school? Oh you crazy St. Louisers.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

St. Louisans. And I don't get the joke

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

How much time have you spent in East St. Louis?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It means, at least for Missouri, the absence of at least two pretty easy wins, I would think. Nebraska and Colorado hadn't been to the Tournament in years, if I recall. Although Colorado probably earned a spot this year.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have friends in St. Louis who tell me the first thing native St. Louisans do when meeting for the first time is ask "Where'd you go to high school?" Even among 30- and 40-somethings it's one of the first questions asked. The answer defines the person's background, social status, economic status and possibly religion and ethnicity. Guy could have gone to Harvard, but if he graduated from the "wrong" high school in StL then it'll be a negative when he's prowling at McGurk's.

Draft saved Draft deleted