1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burwell plays the race card with Mike Anderson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hate-Miser2, Mar 25, 2011.

1. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Actually, probably not. From "The Greatest Sporting Trivia Book Ever": "In the early 19th century, bareknuckle boxing was a popular spectator sport among the gentry, who were nicknamed 'the fancy,' which was often shortened to 'the fance' and hence 'fan.'"

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If he wasn't happy there, he would have gone to Georgia or Oregon. Arkansas was his dream job. Georgia is definitely not a better job than Missouri. You can say the same thing about Oregon, but with that Nike money coming in, that could be an elite program very quickly.

Arkansas probably would have been the favorite to win the SEC West next season even if Pelphrey had stayed. Now, Anderson will come in, the Hogs will make the tournament next year and he'll be the program's savior. Why wouldn't he want that?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Post-Nolan, the Arkansas and Missouri programs are about the same. One place just had louder money

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

After reading the last line of the column, with the knuckle-draggers who still think the Civil War is only at halftime, I have to think he's had that line in his holster for awhile now, and he was just looking for a place to shoehorn it in.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I thought the first three-quarters were crap and the last fourth was the interesting part. It starts off terribly.

Anyone wanting insight from Burwell will be disappointed, based on the Cardinals/Rams columns I've seen.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

If living in Missouri is anything like Winter's Bone, I don't blame Anderson for leaving either...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

By what inkling would you think Arkansas is any less gothic?

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This. Superb sourcing, Bryan.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Fayettenam isn't exactly Progressive Town, USA.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fayetteville is full of drug-addled hippie leftists. And that's just the UA faculty.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was in Lawrence at the time and as pissed as people were, I don't think there was any legitimate reason to be concerned of that. I realize it only takes one crazy person, but that wasn't the atmosphere at all.

Roy could have done any one of a few things to make his exit from KU more well received in Kansas: 1) Left three years earlier. 2) Not held a rally at the football stadium and said he was going to stay until he died or was fired three years earlier. 3) Beat Syracuse.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Definitely. Like it was written by two different people, the first half by a rationale professional, the second by a raving message boarder.

I've no idea what he read to prompt this rant, but if it's just some message board comments and internet BS, then it was out of line. Unless it's a clear step upward (ie. from a mid-major to major), there's always gonna be plenty of pissed off people when a coach jilts a large fan base for elsewhere (especially when elsewhere is just over the border), regardless of the coach's race, and there's always gonna be a few loons that get inappropriate with anonymous comments.

And the "Al Sharpton" paragraph where he tried to include himself amongst the victimized just made me cringe.

Draft saved Draft deleted