1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burning Man Festival

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bagelchick, Sep 3, 2010.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I've just recently learned/heard about this.
    Has anyone ever gone to it?

http://www.burningman.com

There's a two-part series they've been showing on the Current channel. I'm kinda fascinated by the whole thing.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Looks like it might be fun, except for all the people who attend. I vaguely remember a story years back about some sort of tragedy there. Other than the hair, clothing and patuli oil, that is.

3. I know people who have been going for years and swear that it is the greatest thing ever. These are also people who lead very unstructured lives and are extremely...open-minded. Lots of drugs, costumes, sharing, continual nudity.

But Burning Man has been a big thing for a while. Time magazine did a huge story on it about ten years ago. My concern about going would be that it's past prime at this point. Also, it's the sort of thing I think I would like to go to for a day, but the distance (for me) and remoteness in the desert seems to require going for more like a week.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The patchouli oil is found at the Rainbow Family Gathering, not Burning Man.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I often get my hippie assumptions confused. :)

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

[​IMG]

The original Burning Man Festival courtesy of Christopher Lee.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

Just don't run into Nicolas Cage during the festival.

Draft saved Draft deleted