1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burn After Reading

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Sep 8, 2008.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Kind of funny reading the comments about the Coen Brothers and their films -- it's like "Intolerable Cruelty" and "The Man Who Wasn't There" never existed. (And wow, was "Intolerable Cruelty" disappointing.) Also "The Hudsucker Proxy," which is funny, because that was their shot with a big budget.

Count me as a very big fan, and I'm looking forward to this one. The Coen brothers and Wes Anderson are really the only filmmakers I'll go out of my way to see.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Saw it today, and it was a hoot. Oh, what fun - Clooney womanzing beyond tabloid comprehension, Pitt playing a himbo, Malkovich being, well, Malkovich...and Tilda Swinton is fiercely erotic (she's got something goin' on if she's made two movies with Clooney within a year).
    Don't give it away, but this movie features my all-time favorite piece of furniture.
    Between this and "Juno," Simmons has entered my pantheon of character actors.

3. Simmons was brilliant and the writing was top-notch. A great time at the theater ...

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Just saw it again, this time with my brother. Laughed even harder this time. What struck me in the second viewing was the impeccable comic timing of most every actor in the film. And the Coen Brothers allowed the scenes time to breathe and allow characters to have their expressions documented on film. Nuance is a lost art demonstrated capably in this movie.

Speaking of timing, none other than Sledge Hammer himself, David Rasche, was tremendous in the movie. He's one of those "Oh, I know that face" guys who has been in almost 100 TV shows and movies. What great work here.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0711058/

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just got back, and I was actually disappointed. I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan, so maybe I was expecting too much, but I thought it was only OK. Their better films have more method to their depiction of chaotic events, and I thought this one seemed to lack focus, if that makes sense.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked 'The Man Who Wasn't There.'

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

wffw

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simmons and Jenkins... Like half of Mount Rushmore of male character actors in the past decade (yes, I know that their careers span deeper, but I think that Jenkins really emerged starting with Six Feet Under. And Simmons, can anyone believe this guy was once Schillinger?)

9. Simon_Cowbell

Wow.... interesting divergence of opinion on this role.

I liked it.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Saw it last night... absolutely loved it. Everybody was great. Almost forgot Simmons was in the flick until he finally appeared. Malkovich was great. Really enjoyed it... might have to see it again.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given the atrocious, retarded treatment of gambling in most mainstream pictures (Two For The Money? Puke. 21? Epic horseshit.
    It's too painful to go on . . .) . . . Rounders wasn't bad. It wasn't
    The Hustler, but it wasn't bad. You can pick at a few of the details, but
    it could have been much, much worse.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Burn After Reading. The Coen Bros. are master storytellers. Who would have thought to smashup a screwball comedy with a spy thriller? And no one does a better job of editing movies, cutting scenes a second or two before or after you'd expect, their pacing always has a way of creating tension in the most innocuous scenes.

Draft saved Draft deleted