1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burlington N.C. Sports Copy Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

These guys do a great job and Burlington is a pretty decent city.

The Burlington Times-News has an immediate opening on its Sports copy desk. Position requires editing and layout of section five nights per week (weekends required). Section normally includes 5-8 pages. Motivated departments coverage includes five Division I colleges, 10-plus high schools, minor league baseball, area auto racing and various golf and recreation events. The Times-News publishes seven days per week in the AM. Direct inquiries to: Bob Sutton, sports editor, Times-News, 707 South Main Street, Burlington, NC 27215. E-mail: bob_sutton@link.freedom.com Phone: (336) 506-3050.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What type of company to work for is Freedom?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I thoroughly question Freedom, not known for paying its folks too well. Thing is, the Gaston Gazette in Gastonia gets good people. Burlington does as well, which makes why its holdings in eastern North Carolina all the more mysterious. They don't pay anyone down there very well, and they can't hold on to anyone.

However, Tarheel316 is correct about the Times-News. Burlington is a good paper, and Bob Sutton will continue to make sure his section reaches. Interesting locale, basically the only spot of note between the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point) and the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill).

If Freedom doesn't scare you, jump on this one now.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Burlington does a lot considering it's such a small staff. Bob Sutton has to be one of the most hard-working guys I've ever encountered in the business. I don't know if he ever takes a day off or a vacation.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Burlington is developing commercially, from what I can tell. Best Buy and Starbucks (my two main barometers of economic prosperity) have set foot there, and they built one of those new outdoor malls near I-85/40. Plus there's plenty of outlets and JR's Cigars, which tempt you with South of the Border-esque saturation billboard advertising. Decent paper for its size.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that Bob is even encouraging calls. Usually, an ad will say "no phone calls." Bob is also not one of those SEs that just sits behind a desk. I have seen him at numerous ACC basketball games.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

No, it's not uncommon for Bob to cover an ACC game during the day and work the desk until deadline.

Burlington also had to have the largest number of restaurants and churches per capita in the state of North Carolina. I know that Elon University is nearby, but I still don't know how all those restaurants stay in business.

While the local government is dominated by conservatives, there are very nice parks in Burlington.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Bob is good people and their staff is one a few "smaller' papers that has found a way to have their hands in everything.

9. shecky

shecky Member

Those interested, here's my .02: Forget about working for Freedom, and focus on working for Bob. He works harder than anyone I've ever met and expects you to work hard, too. But he'll help you every step of the way. I'm one of his former minions, which evolved into our being close friends.

Burlington is a good city, too. A very good starting point or second stop.

10. jeffpatterson

jeffpatterson New Member

What's already been said is dead on. Bob Sutton is good people. Not a bad spot for an up-and-comer.

Draft saved Draft deleted