1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burger King's Barbecue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

By the time my son was 7, he already knew to look for a woodpile in the back and smoke coming from a chimney.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You clearly never lived in the IE...there ain't no smoke or wood stacks anywhere I can find between Yuma and Compton.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One good plug for my local BK is the new Coke soda fountain. Unfortunately, the touch screens create a problem similar to self-checkout lanes at grocery stores in that it confuses most users.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Freestyle machine? I like it in theory and it's cool as hell relative to other drink dispensers, but I always walk away unimpressed with the drink I get. The flavors don't have, y'know, flavor and it usually takes away from the taste of the unmolested product. The peach Mello Yellow wasn't bad. The vanilla Sprite was gross. And the raspberry Coke was an unmitigated shitshow.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Skeptical about the quality of Burger King barbecue?
    I think that's akin to being opposed to rape - all rational people hold the same opinion.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Outing alert: Bradley Guire is Wright Thompson.

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I prefer 12 hours over hickory for my pork, but if the meat is pre-sauced or there's no cider vinegar in it, it won't pass the test. Good Q should be enhanced by the sauce, not doused or bathed in it!!

How the hell do you "flame broil" pork BBQ?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There were some pretty good places in Orange County. Tulsa Rib Company comes to mind. Lucille's is pretty good.

Don't get me wrong... It's not Dreamland. It's not close to anything you're going to find in Memphis or Kansas City, but it's not Burger King either.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have been to Lucille's in the OC and really enjoyed it. Light years from what passes for barbecue here in Toronto.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I wouldn't expect to get legitimate "barbecue" at Burger King any more than I expect to get "roast beef" at Arby's.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

The one barbecue joint here is 15 miles away, and I can tell the meat is cooked in an electric smoker. The wood isn't burned. The wood is soaked in a pan of water, and the steam flavors the meat. It's pathetic.

Other than that, no barbecue at all. Nothing but Mexican and chain restaurants in Twin Falls. Anyone who tries to open a unique restaurant here goes under within a year because people think Applebee's is gourmet dining. It's frustrating. The wife and I can't wait to get out of here.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Two words: Vanilla. Barq's.

FTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted