1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bunting out at UNC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Member

best quote on the subject, from Stewart Mandel:
    "You can't be sure of anything involving Baddour, the former UNC admissions dean-turned athletic administrator who hired both a one-year head coaching veteran (Matt Doherty) and an unknown NFL assistant (Bunting) on the sole basis of their UNC diplomas and found a way to fire football coach Carl Torbush two seasons in a row."

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Here's my suggestion for UNC or Kentucky or whomever. Hire Gary Barnett. He's a hell of a college football coach. He carries some baggage, but if you look at the situation at Colorado closely, there was nothing proven except that the incompetent Boulder DA had an agenda and that people at CU constantly undermined his program with self-imposed recruiting restrictions and much higher academic standards than anyone else in the Big 12. Look at Barnett's record with the same talent Dan Hawkins has won one game with this year. He gets the most out of his players.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Early indications are that Steve Kragthorpe of Tulsa is the apple of UNC's eye.

I wish they would hire Steve Logan. If the program is destined to peak at mediocrity as I suspect it is, then at least he would make it interesting by trying an onside kick to start out the game, or a double reverse flea flicker at least once a week.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If Dick Baddour had an operative brain cell (oh gosh ... I'll probably get a PM from his overprotective brother for dare saying that), his first call would be to Steve Logan. Logan may like his radio gig and current life too much to jump back in. But if there's so much as an inkling he would consider taking the job, Baddour would be an idiot not to consider him.

Logan's drawback, from a PR standpoint, is he doesn't suffer fools easily and he won't play along with silly, obtuse media questions. But he moved mountains with East Carolina ... and Mike Hamrick's decision to turn a personal agenda into something professional has screwed ECU football for at least a generation. Logan had turned down bigger programs to stay at ECU, so firing him not only set the program back, but also sent a message to future coaches (hello, Skip Holtz) that anyone having a successful season or two in Greenville should make the jump.

Of course, Terry Holland is a bit smarter than Hamrick.

If Logan isn't interested, Steve Kragthorpe makes a lot of sense.

On the subject of David Cutcliffe, he was screwed by the idiots in Oxford. Plain and simple. Any concern with him should center around his health, not his ability to get the job done.

5. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

It seems every time a job comes open in N.C., Steve Logan is mentioned. Really, why is that? Can the man turn water into wine? No. Carolina should look to the NFL, a la Chuck Weiss. Why not pick up a Tim Lewis or, we all know it's coming, Dennis Green. Talk about recruiting quality kids in that area who want to go to "The League." They hear NFL, and next thing you know, they have a new favorite color. It makes sense to me, but this Steve Logan stuff is overplayed.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I never could figure out why Ole Miss canned Cutcliffe...he's about the best a school like that can hope to do. The fact that they canned him, then went after Ty Willingham and Butch Davis...well, that's like me dumping my girlfriend so I can hit on Angelina Jolie and Jessica Alba.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Kragthorpe would probably be a good hire. Has a young family which would be a perfect fit the Chapel Hill.

But I think he'll be able to do a lot better than UNC after this season.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No he is not Vince Lombardi, but Logan had good success with East Carolina, which is no small feat. My preference for Logan is solely based on the fact that his offense is crazy and he runs a lot of trick plays. He is a gambler, and that would be entertaining. I would prefer entertaining mediocrity to mediocrity based on the same crap everybody else runs.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I meant to post yesterday I hoped he got the job. Glad to hear he is at least on the Heels' radar.

10. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

apparently, butch has said he's interested in the carolina job, per charlotte observer

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15837440.htm

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Told the N&O the same thing:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/502329.html

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Let's see ... few have succeeded at East Carolina. Logan was one of them. His offense was fun to watch. The kids behaved. He stayed when bigger programs came with offers, waving big money in his face.

Let me put it like this: I despise East Carolina ... almost willing to use the h-word. But I respected the hell out of Logan, and his substance over flash and style was a quality trait. Sadly, my alma mater's coach severely lacks many of Logan's good qualities.

No, Chapel Hill shouldn't look to the NFL. That's where John Bunting came from. His lack of experience as a college head coach and his inability to continuously recruit top-shelf talent was his undoing. I kinda doubt Dick Baddour will be looking to the NFL again. If Baddour screws this one up, he's probably out the door along with the next coach given his poor hiring record.

Draft saved Draft deleted