1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bunting out at UNC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Just stay the hell away from David Cutcliffe. That would hurt on many levels, as Tennessee takes some of North Carolina's best prep players every year, too.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Only place Petrino will go to now is the NFL. No way he coaches another college team.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cutcliffe is going to Kentucky.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wouldn't you think he learned his lesson about taking an SEC job where you can't win??? I know the AD at UK was the No. 2 at UT, but still, I can't imagine Cutcliffe going there.

5. Armchair_QB

UK is a sleeping giant. They've got facilities, money and a loyal fan base that has been showing up in big numbers to watch shitty football for decades. Imagine what they'd do if they won a little more.

It's a much better situation than Ole Miss was. If he's up to it health-wise I can see him doing it.

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

UK has been a sleeping giant for decades, so why would that change now?

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Don't football coaches generally flee schools where basketball is clearly king? North Carolina and Kentucky being pretty prime examples.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

See Bryant, Bear. Went to Tx A&M because he got a car after a championship, Rupp got a house ... or something like that

9. Armchair_QB

Bryant got a watch. Rupp got a car.

10. Armchair_QB

The flipside of that is you get a longer leash and even middling success builds job security.

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Two things about UNC under Bunting:

1. Hitching your wagon when the season began to Joe Dailey, who had been a flop at Nebraska, wasn't a great move. Nor was having Sexton looking over his shoulder for the first two weeks, either. I know two-QB systems can work, but this one was a miserable failure.

2. UNC has lost its last nine games against the spread. Losing on the field is bad enough, but when the alums can't even cash a wager or two, they will call for the coach's head every time.

As for Cutcliffe, I can see him getting another SEC job. It's very rare that an ex-head coach restores his reputation as quickly as Cutcliffe did.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He did so remarkably well, but Ole Miss and Ed Orgeron helped him immensely.

Draft saved Draft deleted