1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bundy Trial Ends In A Mistrial For A Very Expected Reason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Has Bundy paid his grazing fees?

Did he ignore two court orders to get his cattle off Federal land - including National Park property?

Did his family stage an armed takeover of Federal land?

Did he say African-Americans would be better off as slaves?

(Nice of The Hill to give a Waco truther and defender of all sovereign citizens a platform.)

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It is possible the Feds screwed up and Bundy is a piece of shit who should have been locked up if everyone did their jobs.

franticscribe and cranberry like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

That's exactly the case.

The Feds screwed up by not turning over all the evidence. But the Bundys are still welfare kings and freeloaders who ignore lawful judicial decisions and staged an armed takeover of Federal property.

franticscribe and Jake_Taylor like this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

He does? And you know this how?

It’s also a logical fallacy to argue “he’s been wrong before, therefore he’s wrong now”.

5. Rainman

Prove it. Prove Bundy would have been locked up if everyone did their jobs.

6. Inky_Wretch

Has Bundy paid his grazing fees?

Did he ignore two court orders to get his cattle off Federal land - including National Park property?

Did his family stage an armed takeover of Federal land?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are you incapable of answering Inkys question?

8. Rainman

No. He had not paid the grazing fees. The fees are several thousands.

Yes. The National Park ban was based on spurious argument that the cattle were harming a turtle.

Yes. Read the articles I linked. Bundy rightfully feared for his life because snipers had surrounded him. A claim that the government denied until the judge made them turn over evidence.

Look, I never said Bundy was a Saint. I'm just surprised that you would look at the governments actions and have no fear or disgust for what the feds did.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Yes. I wonder how I might know that he misses the goalposts when writing about legal concepts.

You don't have to take my word for it, though. Here's one of the nation's most prominent election law scholars pointing out a basic misconception in a piece on election law:

https://electionlawblog.org/?p=86835

And here's prominent conservative lawyer Ed Wheelan dismantling anothe of his pieces:

Unhinged Attack on Justice Gorsuch

Sorry, but when I find someone consistently inaccurate they lose credibility with me.

Even though a blind squirrel might occasionally find a nut, I'm not obligated to keep watching that squirrel.

John B. Foster likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Bundy feared for his life due to government snipers surrounding him in Nevada, so his sons needed to take over Federal lands in Oregon? Makes totes sense!

And the National Park ban was not "spurious" at all. He had no right to graze cattle there - regardless of the turtle or any other wildlife.

Bundy and his kind are not patriots or heroes or whatever else people want them to be. They are welfare kings who aren't paying their bills. They ignore lawful court orders. They think the law doesn't apply to them. They're the latest iteration of the Covenant, Sword & Arm of the Law or the West Memphis cop killers or Elohim City or the Michigan militia movement. But since they wear cowboy hats and ride horses, their crimes get romanticized.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Wonder what the Bundys would have done if any other patriotic ranchers decided to graze their cattle on that same gub'mint land.

12. Rainman

Those are opinion pieces, those aren't pieces that say "he is wrong on the law, and here's why".

I actually agree with Ed Wheelan's opinion on what Stern wrote, but again, that's an opinion, and does not prove "Stern routinely get basic legal concepts wrong".

Draft saved Draft deleted