1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bundy Trial Ends In A Mistrial For A Very Expected Reason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Bundy Trial Ends in a Mistrial for a Very Expected Reason

Didn't someone on here argue about the lack of due process and the grazing permits were cancelled because of fraud?

Thankfully that whistleblower came forward. If he did not, four men would have gone to prison based on fraud.

They were just a bunch of dumb hillbillies and the government was in the right, am I right?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Welfare kings and thugs. Lock ‘em up.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Do you know what the word "mistrial" means?

Hint: it doesn't mean acquittal. You might wanna hold off on the victory dance. You're acting like this is over, when it ain't. Your boys can still be tried, and still may be found guilty, as they should, because they are guilty.

However, the prosecutors did inexcusably fuck up here. For that reason, the Judge determined that this trial can't go forward. That doesn't bar the scheduling of another.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in an objective, thorough account of what went wrong in the trial, I found this account from the Oregonian useful:

Rebuke of U.S. attorneys in Cliven Bundy case: 'Every prosecutor's nightmare'

Brady violations often mean the end of a case, although sometimes the problem can be cured for retrial.

Brady can be incredibly frustrating for the prosecution, even though I agree with the principle behind it 100 percent. It's frustrating because in practice prosecutors are assigned the entire knowledge of the government. So even after a diligent search you might find put mid-trial that an agent or agency intentionally withheld something you couldn't have otherwise known about and it's your ethical violation.

That said, it sounds like issues were raised here that should've been investigated more thoroughly by the federal prosecutors and weren't.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The good thing is that people like Rainman can make one sign saying DESTROY BLM and it works for every occasion.

6. Rainman

Did you read the article? Did you miss the part about the BLM engaged in fraud?

How do you know they are guilty? How do you know they will be found guilty?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Probably antidepressants made 'em do it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Rainman

It's over. They are all free and the judge barred a retrial. None of what BLM said was true.

"A reckless disregard for constitutional obligations."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not turning over evidence =/= none of what the BLM said was true.

The Bundys are welfare kings and tax dodgers. They represent the worst of the West. And they will wind up in prison one day. I just hope it’s not after they murder a BLM official.

Smallpotatoes and John B. Foster like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They'll beat that rap, too. Nothing would make them more beloved by their apologists.

12. Rainman

Like the way Finicum was murdered by the FBI? And what does “worst of the west” mean?

https://redoubtnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Larry-Wooten-Communication_77PI.pdf

I''m honestly dumbfounded everybody that reads this would side against the Bundys. You or I could end up in jail like Bundy because federal agencies decide they are above the law and nobody is going to stop them from dealing with dumb simple hicks like me and you.

The Obama appointed Federal Judge said:

Draft saved Draft deleted