1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buncha cheatin, thievin....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Sep 22, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So I'm looking at the Big School athletic website... everyone in this state knows who they are -- TV darlings, Under Armour contract, athletic director makes announcements through her interweb partners first before the Big City News because they get paid.
    I notice a bunch of familar stories on their iHigh site.
    Someone, either at the school or at iHigh, has taken stories from the Big City News -- some by me -- cut and pasted them in their own template (bylines intact) and used it for content on that site without a link to the original story. While leaving the bylines intact is a minor salve, bottom line is these fine folks at Big School and iHigh are lifting content.
    Reason to be pissed?

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Probably best to politely point out their error and ask them to remedy it by linking to the original and/or not lifting the entire story. Keeping the bylines alone isn't enough, unless said writers are household names.

If they persist, then bring the pain.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

They're violating the Big City News's copyright, and indirectly taking bread off your family's table, so yeah, you should be pissed. Hopefully your company gives a shit and tells them to cut it out or risk a lawsuit.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Get off her back! ;)

Big School athletic director and I attended high school together. Of course, I'm the guy who nearly came to blows with her school's varsity cheerleading coach last December on the Plains.

But yeah, reason to be pissed.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

iHigh was sent a cease and desist by the website management. They ceased quickly.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You seem to get plagiarized a lot. ;)

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He's that good.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

First guy who did it is in PMITA prison for three years.... never forget that, pal.....

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And this wasn't plagiarism. Bylines were left on; they just lifted the content.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

slappy is one angry dude. He should be honored Big School is lifting his stories.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes and yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted