1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bumping the price

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

A couple of small Gannett dailies near me recently bumped the price single copy price of the newspaper from 50 to 75 cents. Anyone else see a rise in newsstand prices recently?
    They kept their home delivery rates steady though. I know from our figures our delivery is declining slowly but our single copy sales are up.
    Thoughts?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Making the papers smaller and getting rid of reporters while bumping up the price and complaining about 20 percent profit margins.

There is not another industry in the country that could get away with this crap.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, makes tons of sense. people aren't buying your product, raise the price, that'll get 'em running. dumb fucks.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The Washington Post is going (or just went) from 35 to 50 cents on the newsstand. Home delivery price stays the same.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

True -- but the WaPo has been somewhat immune from the utterly stupid space cuts that have slammed many good papers throughout the country. They've cut a bit here and there but the paper's still fairly big on most days so no one notices.

I'd just like to see a publisher survey readers with the question "if we raised our price but restored some missing features and added pages to the paper, would you support it?" Some readers may pay a higher price if the paper had more in it.

As it is, our industry's single focus is cut, cut, cut. So no one will think of it.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I've actually noticed the opposite phenomenon in my neck o' the woods.

The cover price for a Sunday edition of The Tampa Tribune is $1, but depending where you look, you can find it in a rack for 75 cents or 50 cents -- often within a half-block radius -- complete with rack cards announcing the special price.

Circulation is sinking at the Trib, which, as an alum, pains me greatly, but at least they don't have the gall to raise the price for a product that isn't nearly as big (or as good) as it used to be.

Along those same lines, the St. Petersburg Times, whose circulation actually is growing, has offered a few of my neighbors annual subscriptions for $35. That's right, less than two Jacksons for an entire year. (I also live in what traditionally has been a Tribune stronghold, so I'm pretty sure they're not offering that bargain-basement rate throughout the entire metropolitan area.) The Trib has tried to match that price, but all that really seems to do is cheese off the people who've paid full price for so long.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Just got a memo today, ours is going up in price tomorrow. Although, I don't know by how much. It was just a reminder to "use the new banner to reflect the price increase."

First I've heard of the increase.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That Tampa Bay battle has been very nice for consumers. Last I saw, you had to be an idiot to pay more than a quarter for daily and $1 for Sunday in the racks, that's how many deals were out there from the Times and Tribune.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

my scrip went up last month from 39 bucks every six months to 45 -- without an increase at the newsstand.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There's nothing like sticking it to the faithful readers.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That was my company word-for-word last year.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thow in a soduko and everything's good, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted