1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bummer. Local Barnes & Noble closing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, May 2, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We do have a lot of brown-skinned people around, in Borders and elsewhere.
    In fact, there's one in my house, and frankly I'm a little suspicious. Why am I doing my own landscaping?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They're busy making the quesidilla's ?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did I ever tell you mys story about the crazy guy in front of me in line at the taco truck, the guy who brought his own cheese to the taco truck so he could get a quesadilla?
    Very strange.

In related news, we are having a taco truck at our house for a party in a few weeks. We were discussing catering options and finally decided 'The coolest thing would be to have a taco truck on the premises serving guests.'
    I'm very excited about it.
    Perhaps during the party I will start asking the taco truck staff and guests for 'their papers.'

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or have them mow the lawn.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I never forget a good Buck:

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's beautiful

7. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

FWIW, many bookstores are closing and online, such as Amazon, may indeed be the culprit. I say this because the number of titles released in print form set an all-time record last year, breaking the record previously set in 2008, which broke the record from 2007, which broke the record of 2006, etc. This fact comes not just from industry sources, but from the American Library Association, and the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the Library of Congress.
    Bottom line is, there will not, in our liftime, be a shortage of books or bookcases in homes. There just may be a shortage of sources for obtaining them at the local mall.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I went for a stroll on Sunday in one of the up and coming neighbourhoods in the city. The crackheads and hookers have pretty much moved out and art galleries, fair trade coffee shops, trendy design stores and used bookstores are moving in.

There was one used bookstore (also sold used CD's and vinyl) that had a terrific collection of books on architecture and design, something you'd never find in a big box store such as Indigo (our version of Borders) where books tend to be wallpaper and more and more floor space is devoted to high margin crap like candles.

Sure, you can buy the lastest best-sellers from Amazon but nothing replaces old-fashioned browsing in a real bookstore.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is The World's Biggest Book Store still off Yonge north of Dundas? I culd spend hours in that place but haven't been in that area in ages.

Draft saved Draft deleted