1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bummer. Local Barnes & Noble closing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, May 2, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Shopping for books in person: I'm a Borders devotee. I used to be a big fan of the local independent, Joseph-Beth, but their selection — which used to be wonderful — has become a mirror image of B&N.

More often than not, these days: http://www.alibris.com

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DO NOT SAY THAT! I will not stand for trashing of JoeBeth's, but I also haven't been in a year or two. Course, you freaks in your area get the offshoot store. I'll bet the Lexington one is still awesome. :D

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sorry, IJAG.

And please don't out me on facebook - the JoBeth owner, Neil Van Um, is a fb friend. :D

They still do way more ancillary things that makes them a great bookstore — TONS of author appearances, customer service up the wazoo, decent prices.

However, I cut my appearances there down after a summer of disappointment a few years back. I'd go there for some sports book I'd heard of, or when I got hooked on O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series ("Far Side of the World"), and if they had it at all, it was some crappy paperback. I'd motor over to Borders, and they'd have what I was looking for every time and they'd have it in hardback (my preference). Hell, even with the classics, you'd have to order hardcover at Jo-Beth. I wanted to re-read Ulysses, and couldn't find my copy. All J-B had was some paperback marketed for high school lit class, but Borders had a nice hardcover for $25.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I don't know. I have a Kindle. A lot of people do. I feel awful about no longer frequenting bookstores, but I have the convenience of downloading brand new books for half the price. I think technology has much to do with the downfall of bookstores. And I'm sorry to type that.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is it really possible that having full bookshelves won't remain as a living room or den furnishing statement? I really think books have a much better chance of survival than newspapers. They may be more and more bought online, but I don't think they'll lose their cachet as a paper product.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A B&N store employee told me why the books are so much cheaper online than in the stores -- shipping fees. Once you add in the shipping fees it costs the same or a just a couple of dollars less online than in the store.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus, I would think having to pay to have employees and for the physical store would also crank up the price.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Funny ... B&N just broke ground on a new store here.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Being built by Sisysphus Contractors.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I just want to know - if someone buys my book online, do I get paid a percentage of the list price or of the discounted price? Anyone know?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Said employee's full of it -- spewing the typical self-serving crap
    B&N is famous for. When you observe the $25 minimum order, free shipping from Amazon makes an amazing difference.

The bricks-and-mortar establishment (unless you always have
    that nifty 30%-33%-40% Borders coupon in hand) is for something you have to have, in your hands, NOW.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When does your book go on sale? Have you captured the spirit of the thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted