1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bullying results in $4M settlement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 19, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You can call me ignorant, and perhaps I am. The only item of culpability I see out of this article is an insurance company making a payment.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think you're ignorant.

But if the existence of insurance precluded liability, then no one would ever be able to file wrongful death suits or personal injury suits in car accidents and so forth.

I understand your point - that the insurance company is just going to pass along the costs to the rest of us. But I see this as one of those situations where I don't mind society spreading the cost of bullying, which diminishes us all as a society at large.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

SELF RELIANCE!! INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY!! PULLING YOURSELF UP BY YOUR BOOTSTRAPS!!

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The kid is going to Syracuse now. He always can major in journalism and then get a job at the Berkshire Beacon.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Don't forget that insurance companies don't just stand around waiting to pass out monies. If they did not pay $4.2M for this, they'd keep it as profits. They hardly roll over, especially for $4.2M.

Draft saved Draft deleted