1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bullying meme

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 10, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think there should be a mandatory 72-hour waiting period before expressing them in public.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I disagree :p

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I also have a problem with the idea that bullying is the fault of the people being bullied, not the bullies.
    Maybe instead of teaching kids to survive in a cruel world, we try to make the world a little less cruel.
    I point that out and they tell me I'm living in fantasyland.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I've seen it on my feed once or twice as well.
    No shit. And what do pink ribbons have to do with anything?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You teach kids not to give the bullies an audience. If you take away the audience, you greatly reduce the amount of bullying.

You also get kids to support those being bullied rather than being quiet and looking the other way.

I have heard a great pro-active way to deal with bullies in a school. You get every kid to write down names of kids who they think are bullies, or they have seen bully others, and bring in the kids and their parents for a sit down and explain that a large number of kids in the school see your kid as a bully. Why is that? Kids see the bullying. Many times the adults do not.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the best idea I have heard. You embarrass the parents, and the kids will get the word very quickly.

7. Smallpotatoes

It's another one of those stupid, "We're being too politically correct and making kids soft" things.

8. Smallpotatoes

So does anybody think I don't really understand that life is tough and being a victim of bullying teaches kids how to survive in a tough world?

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, but many of the parents of bullies end up being in two camps:
    1) They don't give a shit, or think it's funny.
    2) "Not my child. It MUST be a mistake!"

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Or they double-down on bullying said kid.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think in every bullying example I have ever seen, from friends to books, to movies to after-school-specials, kids are taught to stick up for themselves.

Can't think of a single instance where they are told to wear pink ribbins and pass anti-bullying legislation.

That said, it's hard to fight back on Internet bullying.

Oh, and that meme sucks. I'd like to give it a wedgie.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In junior high, I would threaten or get in fights with kids who bullied smaller kids.

Ironically, I never became friends with the kids who were bullied, but I did become friends with a couple of bullies.

You also have to be smart. In high school, this 6-5, 260-pound lineman would get drunk at every party and fight with random kids. I always brought him a six-pack and stayed out of his way.

Riptide likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted