1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bullwinkle Turns 50! Hokey Smoke!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Nov 19, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-tc-tvcolumn-rocky-1118-1119nov19,0,2706631.story

Loved it as a kid and when WGN America re-ran Rocky & Bullwinkle for part of this past summer, I enjoyed it again. I think June Foray (voice of Rocky) may be the only surviving cast member left. Didn't realize it had reached a milestone mark.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This was his best work. Language very, very NSFW.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat....

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Best. Cartoon. Ever.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Very much a primary source about America in the middle of the Cold War and recovering from McCarthy-ism

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I knew a guy named Tex Henson who worked on the show. He was in charge of the animators in Mexico. He also created Chip and Dale for Walt Disney. He told me a great Tex Avery story which I will gladly share if anyone's interested.

In 2002, while walking alongside a road, he was struck and killed by a vehicle.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Yes, PLEASE tell the Tex Avery story! Seriously!

There's a great book out there about Jay Ward and Bullwinkle called "The Moose That Roared." It discusses the Mexican animation quite a bit.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

NOT AGAIN!

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tex Avery was a great man -- and funny as all hell.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The Tex Avery Story

Trix cereal made its debut in the mid-1950s. General Mills wanted to have an animated character created that would become the cereal's spokesperson in television commercials. They pursued Tex Avery and he essentially didn't return their calls. Avery's career in animation fell into a decline in the early 50s and he eventually took a meeting with General Mills.

Tex is in a room with various executives and marketing people from General Mills and they're all telling him about how excited they are to be working with him yada yada yada. They tell him that what they have in mind is a talking animal. After all, talking animals had been a staple of cartoons for years. Since kids love cartoons logic dictates that they love talking animals.

The talk eventually turns to exactly what kind of animal this cartoon spokesperson will be. Bears and squirrels are discussed. One of the younger marketing execs suggests that the perfect animal to sell Trix cereal to kids is a rabbit.

"It'll be slender and have long ears. It'll be sort of like Bugs Bunny. That's what we want. A character like Bugs Bunny. You have heard of Bugs Bunny, haven't you?"

Tex had had enough.

"Of course I've heard of Bugs Bunny. I created the goddamned son of a bitch!"

And with that Tex left the meeting.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That trick never works!! ::) ::)

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Moose and squirrel are 50?

Raskolnikov!

Draft saved Draft deleted